Prospect Profile: Baxter Arcanum

ctots

Ever since announcing his entry into the VHLM, media outlets around the league have been scrambling to pull data on this fresh face. We were lucky enough to sit down with the young man himself for a short interview earlier today. I caught up with Arcanum at his home rink and spoke with him before his morning skate. He was already laced up when I arrived, and it was obvious that his focus was on sharpening his skills.

“So, Baxter, your stat sheet says you were born in Norway, but you’ve got stats in local leagues all the way back to the time you could walk. What’s the deal?”

“I get this a lot. My parents were very fortunate with some investments at a young age and came into a substantial amount of money. They own a home in Norway, and that’s where I was born. We visit there often and I’ve got dual citizenship, but most of my time is spent here in the US.”

“You’ve bounced between forward and defenseman positions from time to time, what would you say in specific is your “brand” of hockey?”

“I’d call myself a defense-oriented two-way defender, basically. I try to play a very physical game - blocking shots, making hits, and doing the dirty work to retrieve pucks in corners. It’s not exactly prime material for the highlight reel, but a competent defenseman makes a huge difference on the ice.”

"That's a great point, and the league overall is in need of more top tier players on the blue line. Now is a great time to enter the VHLM. Do you have any thoughts about where you might like to go?"

"I want to play for whoever needs me most, basically. I don't necessarily need to win a championship, but I want to know that when I put on my skates and get on the ice, I'm going to be making an impact every shift. I want to get excited over wins in the locker room and encourage the team when we take a loss. If you're not getting along off the ice, you won't get along on the ice either."

"I'm sure GMs will be every interested to hear that. Do you have any specific plans for your career in the VHLM? Are you looking ahead to a major league career?"

"I want to be a professional hockey player because I want to see what I'm really capable of. I'm doing everything I can to get into top physical shape, and I know that VHLM coaching staff will be able to help me shore up the weaknesses in my game and improve on my strengths. Again, I can't control how the team overall performs, but I can make sure that I'm bringing my absolute best every time I lace up my skates."

“I won’t take up any more of your time today, I appreciate you stepping away from your practice to chat with me.”

“Thanks for coming down to the barn, you’re welcome back any time.”

There you have it, directly from the man himself. Baxter Arcanum is talking the talk, we’ll see if he can walk the walk.