Analysis of VHLM Team Names Part 5: Saskatoon and San Diego

Will3

It is that time of the week, my friends. The time for team name analysis. My name is Will and welcome to the penultimate article of this series that critically analyzes the names of VHLM teams. Today two S rank cities take the spotlight. Both of hockey clubs seeming borrow names used by real life teams. Do these names work in the teams' locations. My analysis machine is ready so let's find out.

The Saskatoon Wild definitely copied their name from the Minnesota Wild of the NHL. That is where the teams similarities stop however as the Saskatoon Wild logo is a wolf/fox thing and very different from Minnesota's wilderness/bear logo. Getting back on point, Saskatoon is the most populous city in the province of Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan is a mostly forested province with most human life inhabitanting the southern praries. The province is also described as having 100,000 lakes which is more that Minnesota's measly 1,000 lakes. This lake thing might explain why the VHLM club has the same name as a NHL club. Ultimately the team name effectively fits the location even if I wish the logo was a bit better.

The San Diego Marlins copy their name from a team in a different sport far, far away. That team being the Miami Marlins of MLB. Like Miami, San Diego is a major destination for sport fishing. After the collapse of San Diego's commercial fishing industry in the 70's, sport fishing moved in and became a major part of the city. The marlin is the premier sport fish in the ocean. The name does fit an aquatic theme used by many California hockey teams. Ultimately it us a great name that no only fits a running theme, but it also has a little bit of history. It us a name that could work in a couple other places  in the VHL but I wouldn't change it.

And now I have gone over all the team names of the current VHLM. But I am not done with this league just yet. Two teams left the M to join the E while retaining the team names. This is a unique situation that to best analyze, all the locations involved must be considered. Next week, I will break down the team names in their VHLM setting. This will be the finale to the M. The week after that, it will be time to break down the same names in the VHLE settings while considered which location used the name better and if a rebrand is necessary. This will begin my analysis of the team names in the E. Look forward to these articles comming soon. That is all I have for now. Thank you for reading and be amazing today. Later.