Miklavz Struggling

ke1vi

The Riga Reign are well within the playoff hunt this season, but captain Anze Miklavz knows he can be better in the final stretch. The 5th year winger is having the worst scoring season of his career, and he’s well aware of the hard luck he’s getting this year.

“It’s been tough – the puck just isn’t going in and I don’t think I’m getting the bounces I’ve gotten in previous years” Miklavz said after Riga’s Sunday morning skate. “I’m just going to keep playing my game though. I feel my play away from the puck has been consistent, and as long as we’re winning, I’m good with it”.

Miklavz is not wrong about that statement.

He’s improved significantly this season with his defensive play, earning himself a plus rating after 54 games this season. On top of his defensive game, Miklavz has introduced a more physical element. He currently has 226 hits and 100 PIM, exceeding his total output from the first three seasons.  

“We have some young guys this year and as the captain, I need to keep the flies off them” said Miklavz. “Being a pest puts the focus on me and lets the other guys do their thing, that’s what I think being a captain is all about”.

What history has told us is that Miklavz can produce offensively, and he’s also known for being a streaky player. With a tight race to finish off the last quarter of the season, Miklavz and the Reign can only hope the fire catches sooner than later.