What's Next For Scotty Sundin? A Can't Miss Tell-All Interview With VHL's Next Upcoming Star!

Well folks it's certainly been an exciting time for hockey fans all over the globe as various playoffs have all finally came to an end over the past few days. In the VHLM, the Saskatoon WIld completed their shocking playoff run and captured a Founder's Cup over the odds-on favourite Houston Bulls. Meanwhile in the pro league, the Vancouver Wolves once again toppled Moscow to successfully finish their three-peat and cement their legacy in the VHL record books forever. With all that said and done, we have officially reached the offseason, and their is already a ton of chatter over the upcoming draft and all the rule changes on the horizon for next season. We were able to catch up with Houston Bulls captain Scotty Sundin to pick his brain about the playoffs, and what is next for the budding superstar. Here is a transcript of that conversation, we hope you like it!

VHL Insider: Hello Scotty, thank you for sitting down with us so quickly after your long and grueling playoff run. I suppose that's a good place to start. How are you feeling after coming up short in your pursuit for the Founder's Cup this season? The Bulls were a powerhouse all season, what happened?

Scotty Sundin: Wow you guys hitting me with the tough questions right off the bat, eh? First off, hats off to the Wild organization. They battled all season long and were pretty much neck and neck with us for most of the season. They deserve it, one hundred percent. As for "what happened"... well that's a tough one to answer. I wouldn't attribute the result to any one thing really. No excuses, at the end of the day we were outplayed, not by much, but by enough. It's not like you can really point the finger at any one person to blame. We won as a team, and we lost as a team. I do think that with the way the VHLM is structured, it does mess with chemistry a bit when you have late season roster additions come in via waivers. Don't get me wrong, the players we brought in after the trade deadline were great, but it definitely changes the team dynamic when you get an influx of new faces so late into the season. 

VHL Insider: You infamously made some very bold claims both in the regular season and in the playoffs about winning it all. These comments drew the ire of some of the community and reportedly even some of the Bulls players and staff didn't love these remarks. If you could go back now, would you retract your comments ?

Scotty Sundin: Absolutely not. I made the comments because I had 100 percent belief in my teammates and our ability to persevere as a club. Sure we came up a bit short, but we dominated the regular season and came up just short in Game 7 of the finals. That's hockey, that's how she goes. The real moment that haunts me is letting Game 5 slip away when we lost 7-6 in overtime. We should have sealed the deal right then and there but we didn't. But yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with be confident and believing in yourself and in your teammates. If you look at the roster we had, a ton of these guys are gonna be going high in the draft, and that's a testament to just how talented we were.

VHL Insider: I'm glad you mentioned the draft. The VHL Entry Draft is just around the corner, and there's also the VHLE Draft to consider. Have you heard from team representatives from either league yet, and if so, how do you feel about the upcoming drafts? Oh hold on a second Scotty.... **checks phone** Scotty I actually have some breaking news for you... the draft lottery results just came in and Chicago has won the rights to the first overall pick while Warsaw secured the second pick. Thoughts?

Scotty Sundin: Wow, Chicago eh? Good for them, they've gone through a couple lean years, but they are definitely looking solid with the prospects they have coming up in their system. I've had talks with their GM and honestly, Chicago is a place I would love to play. Not sure if they are targeting me with their first overall pick, but yeah, I'd be honoured to play there. Just imagine the core of Bo Johansson, Clue and myself going forward there. That's one hell of a core to build around! But just in general, I have been telling teams that I am happy to play for pretty much anyone. My only caveat is that I want to immediately jump into the VHL next season. I've worked my ass off to get to where I am so far in my career, and I am ready to make the jump to the pros. I have absolutely zero percent interest in spending a season in VHLE. I compare it to Christmas when you have your whole family over. I want to sit at the adult table with the other grow-ups, not at the kiddy table with mouth breathing cousins who have gravy all of their stupid faces. Any VHL team that will allow me to play up next season is A-OK in my books. I'll take on any role you give me, just give me a shot to prove myself!

VHL Insider: Wow Scotty is not mincing his words! There's the scoop folks, the man wants to play in the pros next season!! Well Scotty, that's all the time we have for today, but thanks again for sitting down with us and sharing your thoughts. It's going to be an interesting offseason to be sure! VHL fans will be waiting in anticipation for the upcoming draft to see where Sundin and all the other up-and-coming VHLM talent ends up. Be sure to keep your eyes peeled to VHL Insider to see when the official draft date and time is announced. 

(claiming for 2 weeks)