Nico Pearce - Veteran Presence

Spartan

cut.jpg

Pearce Poised for Pop-Off Performance

(April 9th - S83 Helsinki Titans Training Camp - Media Availability Transcript Excerpt)

Reporter: Nico, thanks for your time. Year three is expected to be a big season for all pros in the VHL, as the Sophomore Slump is expected to have completed, and now you're in a contract year - as well as a pseudo-leadership role for the younger players on the Titans roster. How're you handling the high expectations?

Nico: Yeah I think there's high expectations, not only on me but on the organization as a whole. It's pretty clear we've got one of the best goalies in the league here in Boobs , and the organization made some big moves to bring in Joker , Nash  and the hobo from Florida. We're not satisfied with missing the playoffs, especially in such a tough conference. This is the time when a lot of us have to prove why we deserve a spot on this team.

Reporter: What is your role in this organization? You've got finals experience from your brief stint on Moscow, and finished 5th on Helsinki in points last season. You've got the first round pick pedigree as well, so overall the fans expect you to step up and be a leader on the team.

Nico: I don't necessarily know if there's an expectation to be a leader, especially being one of the younger guys in the locker room. Like I just broke into the VHL a season before Nezuko, and two seasons before Groves, both in the S81 class. The three of us are the youngest guys on the team along with Milan. So it's not necessarily declining to be a leader, but when you have veterans in the locker room, or at least people more senior and experienced than you, those are the ones who tend to be the real leaders on the team, especially guys like Ori and Boobs who've been here for 3-4 seasons now. Obviously that doesn't mean I can slack off as a self-proclaimed younger player, I'm still going into a third year and a contract season where we have expectations. My display of experience and this "veteran" status can only come on the ice. 

Reporter: What's the biggest thing you've learned over the past two seasons in the VHL, and how has it changed how you play the game now?

Nico: Probably just the level of competition is something you can't really anticipate playing in until you're actually on the ice. Preparation at the VHLM or even the VHLE level doesn't really do it justice, and it was a bit of a shock as well for me going from the M straight into the VHL. Minnesota was a good place to play but there's a big difference between playing against draft eligible players, and then players who are 5-6 seasons from their VHL drafts, and are lighting up the scoresheets every night. The goalies are a bit better, the forwards skate faster, the defensemen are just smarter. It's something I have to work on every day to make sure that I'm no longer just that wide-eyed rookie coasting on the success of those who have put in the effort. It's been a good off-season, especially with the league-mandated training regiment changes, and I think everyone will see that I'm ready to make the jump.

Reporter: Thanks Nico!