Hybrid system

Steve

Here we are in the middle of the longest off-season I can remember. I am running out of bad habits to try and stop but there is always that one that sticks with you.

With this extended break, I have been looking more closely at the “New” system. I think they did a great job fixing an issue that would, in my opinion, ruin the league for a long time. With that said, I hope there are some adjustments coming soon. I think tpe doesn't go very far when trying to raise a skill, like defense. It look like puck control with yield the most defense but when I stick my full wade, 13 tpe, into it, my defensive skill doesn't go up. It just seems like you have to spend a lot of points to get very little in return. I am sure the actual tiers have been adjusted but I haven't seen anything official about it yet. Is the 80s the new 90s? I have no idea. I am not unhappy with all the changes, something needed to be done and they did something. Kudos to all who were involved. With that said, I was wondering if just starting everyone out with 65 passing would have worked. Also, I don't see any power creep happening anytime soon, in fact, we need more tpe now. I think that side of the equation should be looked at. I really don't know how all this stuff works and the ratios they are using. Some clarity on how strong each tier is now would be helpful. I am sure it will take some games and data collection to make a smart adjustment. Good luck to all.

Hi Steve,

I had the same or similar concerns as you. Apparently not only the meta was a problem, but also the skill level overall. From the information received, Connor McDavid would have maybe one or two skills in the nineties and the rest lower. STHS was not built to cope with so many '99' skills as we have seen in the past seasons. So, yes the 80 is probably the new 90 and player will in all likelyhood not be able to max as many stats as they used to. Some stats it is not even possible to get to a 99 anymore afaik.

• Commissioner
4 hours ago, Steve said:

With that said, I was wondering if just starting everyone out with 65 passing would have worked.

We tested that, the quick answer is no. It hurt the meta but not as substantially as we wanted while also not fixing any of the other things this does.

4 hours ago, Steve said:

we need more tpe now

I respectfully disagree. This statement is coming from a place of knowing that before now you could have 3 attributes maxed under 700 TPE but that wasn’t a good thing for the league or the engine. It shouldn’t be looked at as the goal to make builds require no compromises and be attainable easily within a few seasons. Compromises and breakpoints are key. You wanna max Defense? You can but it’s going to cost you in other areas because it’s too costly so it’s probably better to find that line of diminishing returns and say “okay, this isn’t max but it’s not worth the TPE to increase it anymore”. In most cases we aren’t stopping you from max but it is discouraged because that’s ultimately not good for the league.

2 hours ago, Beketov said:

We tested that, the quick answer is no. It hurt the meta but not as substantially as we wanted while also not fixing any of the other things this does.

I respectfully disagree. This statement is coming from a place of knowing that before now you could have 3 attributes maxed under 700 TPE but that wasn’t a good thing for the league or the engine. It shouldn’t be looked at as the goal to make builds require no compromises and be attainable easily within a few seasons. Compromises and breakpoints are key. You wanna max Defense? You can but it’s going to cost you in other areas because it’s too costly so it’s probably better to find that line of diminishing returns and say “okay, this isn’t max but it’s not worth the TPE to increase it anymore”. In most cases we aren’t stopping you from max but it is discouraged because that’s ultimately not good for the league.

Now that was a very good no bullshit reply and I respect that. I understand there is a lot of other issues you guys were addressing. It's making more sense now. I thank you for the response and clarification. Let's make this league run like a fine Swiss watch.