Dogwood Moves to Vegas

dogwoodmaple

To say that I was nervous about the VHLM Draft would be the understatement of the century.  I'd been looking forward to it for weeks and honestly didn't have a clue where I'd end up.  A few teams had reached out, but nobody seemed to tip their hand about where I was on their board or how the first round would shake out.  I was perhaps most nervous about a new locker room, thanks to Miami setting the bar so high.  And I have to say, so far Las Vegas has checked all the boxes.  They were one of the teams on my radar and I am thrilled to be an Ace and to get my first full VHLM season under way in Las Vegas.  My agent and I had really productive talks with their management and it seemed like we had some mutual goals and our visions for my player and for the team lined up almost perfectly.

As soon as I heard my name selected, I got on the phone with my agent who secured me a plane ticket, temporary housing, and had my bags sent out west.   I wanted to have as many things already prepared as possible for my move so I could hit the ice on day one and work towards bringing a championship to Las Vegas.  After the flight, I met with shindigs and the rest of the roster and I absolutely love the camaraderie we've already built.  The common thread that unites us all is that we all love being in Vegas and we all want to bring a title to these incredible fans who support us 24/7.  One thing that's been an adjustment, though, has been the weather.  But not for the worse!  Miami and Vegas can both get hotter than half a mile from the Sun, but the humidity in south Florida can be killer.  Half the time I'd leave practice and felt like I was walking around in a fur-lined sleeping bag while it's 99F outside.  In Vegas?  Not so much.  Don't get me wrong, it's still brutally hot, but the humidity is almost nothing which makes it infinitely more bearable.  Not to mention that I've been known to play a hand of blackjack or two, which makes this a perfect fit for me.  

My goals in Vegas are clear and it's something I'll move heaven and earth to do - win a title.  I truly think we have the squad to make a run this year and I'll do anything in my power to bring that trophy home.  The Aces trusted a first round pick on me so the least I can do is work all day every day at winning a title for the franchise.  As a rookie, I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of the league, but my hard work and enthusiasm will hopefully make up for that.  It's why I hit the gym on my first day in Vegas and why I'll be working on honing my craft day in and day out.  In my mind, if you're not improving relative to your opponent, you're falling behind so there's absolutely no time to waste.  Nobody became a legend overnight - it's a long process and one that I'm committed to as a Las Vegas Ace.  I'll wear that uniform proudly and hope that after my last game here, I've left it a better place than when I found it.  

Go Aces!

(578 words)

It's been an absolute pleasure to have you so far. You even seem to have a positive impact on known trouble maker Juan Ceson, who was seen actually attending Training Camp this off-season! Now if that's not a miracle, I don't know what is.

Great post, love your optimism for the upcoming season and how you will fit in with your team.  Your apprehension going into the draft is well articulated and I felt your longing to get into the game.  As a new player entering after the draft I hope that i can be as excited for my first draft. As this is my first review I would have to say this media spot sets a high bar.  Have to give it a 10 out of 10.  Don't think the next ones I am going to review will be up to this standard.  Great job.