Gustav Life Update/Looking Ahead to S83

Gustav

What's up everyone! This is a two-parter.

Part 1: I now know where I'm going to be for grad school! That ended a huge stressful period of time where I was questioning what I was doing, where I would end up, and the like. I had until Friday to decide, and two of the schools I'd applied to waited until Friday (well, one got back to me on Thursday, but same difference really) to tell me whether I'd gotten in. I got into neither, but I'm still very happy with where I'm going to end up. It's a name many in the US will recognize (though for most it's probably just because of football), and I've got the potential to work with some professors who are right on top of their field.

I posted in the past about my general concerns relating to moving out, living in a new place, going to a new school, and just being on my own in general. If anyone has any advice for this sort of thing, please feel free to give it to me--I've already decided that I'm going to get myself a gym membership and try to teach myself how to play the keyboard when I'm out there, so I don't end up sitting around with no interests and nothing to do. As far as making friends goes, I hope that will go OK enough. I can't say I'm not at all uneasy about it, but I at least have things I'm looking forward to doing.

Part 2: I decided I'd rather stay down in the M this season with Vandelay, because my crusade against the VHLE is still ongoing (if only in my head). I've reached the cap already, and I'm currently the only goaler on the Miami roster. I'd love to see what happens this season--we're not winning any cups, but I like to think we have enough people to have fun, and I'd like to help out the new players wherever and whenever I can so I'm not just eating roster space (don't get me started again on whether or not I think recreates in the M are categorically a bad thing). I'm definitely going to lose for the first time, something I haven't done yet, but that was bound to happen eventually.

I think it's going to be interesting, to say the least, to see how the first half of my career goes with so many talented goalers out there who are S80 and younger. The prime of my career is also going to be interesting and I think we'll definitely see a couple seasons where the question of who's best comes down to who's on which team and who gets what sim luck. 

Finally, I think Taro is more likely than not a Hall-of-Fame player. @Enorama ran the numbers in some fancy spreadsheet I don't fully understand and found that Taro had a slightly lower career impact on the scoreboard than a certain player, but he also won MVP twice while this player never did. The player in question is none other than Groovy Dood, who I believe got in on the first ballot and who was one of the most terrifying players of the late '70s. So while I still won't campaign for myself, it's now my opinion that Taro is a HoF player, and I'm going to be proud of myself for that.

25 minutes ago, Gustav said:

@Enorama ran the numbers in some fancy spreadsheet I don't fully understand

Just normalizes season by season scoring since S58. Assigns each season a ratio depending on how much higher or lower it is than average.

Basic era-adjustment stuff.