Prospect Scouting Report Molly the Cat

JCarson

Molly the Cat has yet to play a regular season game with the San Diego Marlins but as the Lead North American Scout – North Eastern Region, I had the opportunity to watch, a number of, Molly the Cat’s University Games. During my time watching Molly the cat I was impressed with their work ethic in trying to improve in addition to their skills. 

Specifically, Molly the Cat has 4 main strengths that we believe will benefit the San Diego marlins, these being net presence, scoring touch, defensive responsibility, and hockey sense. Molly the Cat has a strong physical presence in the offensive zone. You will normally find Molly the Cat stationed in front of the net, screening the goalie or looking for a puck tip. Defenders have an issue trying to move Molly the Cat, meaning that Molly the Cat draws a lot of penalties from the opposing defense. Molly the Cat gets most of their scoring from being stationed just outside the blue paint. Tips and scrambled rebounds will be where Molly the Cat gets most of their tallies. One of the things I noted in my scouting of Molly the Cat is that they push to be involved in every defensive play while the are on the ice. Whether it is digging in the corner to retrieve the puck or supporting the defensemen by making sure they get back to cover the trailing opponents, Molly the Cat keeps a balance of offense and defense in mind. Lastly Molly the Cat has a great hockey sense, they seem to have their head on a swivel and can see everything going on. Whether it is knowing where the shot is coming from or knowing where to put their stick to block an opponent’s pass, Molly the Cat sees what is going on like few others. 

Although Molly the Cat has some good strengths there are a few areas that we are working with Molly the Cat on. Although Molly the Cat is an average skater, we are encouraging Moly the Cat to work on their skating skills, specifically top speed and endurance. If Molly the Cat wants to have a long career in the VHL they will need to learn to keep up with the top players in the league. As such we have Molly the Cat working with our skating coach and doing drills over and above the normal practices. We expect that if Molly the Cat puts in the extra effort we will see improvement occur quickly.

Secondly, we are working with Molly the Cat on stick handling skills. Molly can handle the puck effectively but putting extra effort into this skill will allow Molly the Cat to excel even more in front of the net. Handling the puck in small confined spaces and either putting it into the net or dishing it to available teammates will make Molly the Cat even more valuable. Molly is working on a number of skill exercises with the team practices to help work on this. We expect to see great improvement over the year. 

As noted Molly the cat is a great pickup and we expect to see significant development over the year. 

image.jpeg.7e6077458cafadf02916f03b81bdd8ec.jpeg

532 words

Edited by JCarson