Trying to Not Get too Excited

Odette and I have finally settled into our married life. I am pretty sure we have one of the most unusual starts to a marriage that has ever occurred. She is the goalie and I am a Winger for the Houston Bulls in the VHLM. Yea, I think that has to win some sort of prize. But it works for us and that is all that matters.

At least once a week she cooks a big traditional Irish meal for dinner. We invite the rest of the team over. She has 1 rule though, no talking about the games, or watching the tape to study how we did. She wants that one evening to be a "hockey free zone". But we offer to do the washing up so she can go rest after cooking, and well...we sneak a word or 2 in about it when she isnt listening in. At least that is what I thought, until the last time the guys were over she made a comment to me after they had left that I needed to keep my head up, that is why I am missing those shoot-out goals, yea, that is what we had been talking about in the kitchen. 

We are only 40 games into the season and I have 20 goals and 21 assists. I am pleased with that, but I wanted to lead the team in assists, not goals. I know that sounds odd, dont get me wrong, I love scoring goals. At least that is what I thought. I mean, slapping that puck or sneaking it into the net behind the opposition goalie, the horn going off, the lights, the cheering of the crowd (or jeering, whatever the case may be) and the sound of "Otis, Otis, Otis"...I mean, who wouldnt like it? I am currently tied with Nine at 20 goals and 3rd on the team with my 21 assists. So who knows, maybe the coach wants me to be a goal scorer more than he needs a setup guy. 

I just practice the way he wants me to. Goals, assists, I dont care just as long as we get those wins! Speaking of which, in 8th place. I know the season is barely halfway over, but it is a hell of a lot better than 10th! I just want us to keep getting better...as a team.

Well, time to hit the ice again...work in my passing some more...