Mack Attack June

pugsood

The Sun Gazzette continues its monthly coverage and update of Northern Virginia native and now former SBA basketball player Alvin Mack, as he continues to be eligible in the VHL, despite not having entertained any overtures by the league and its general managers to date. Our beat reporter Jordan Smith caught up with Mack on June 3rd in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Smith: Same question, different month - any plans on pursuing hockey?

Mack: Nope! Maybe I should just tell you all that I broke my ankle or that I actually really suck at hockey and then maybe you'll stop asking. The skates are never being put on but I'll be a supporter and am loving the growth of the league.

Smith: Why are we in Charlotte right now?

Mack: I'm here working out with my boy Steve Lattimer. He's got a couple of days off and so I've been putting him through the paces. 

Smith: What have you all been working on?

Mack: Continuing to work on his post moves; he's upped his efficiency so much but there's more work to be done to continue being a force. Having Lavonte King on his team has been a benefit because he's got another high level player who can score from the block as well. So it's been fun and competitive. We've also been working on his post defense, timing; I know he's been a little disappointed in his consistency getting blocks and steals, so we're working through some of that. Also playing without fouling. He's got such a big responsibility on the court, but it requires him being on the court. I know he's tired and his fans are tired of these bogus foul calls that limit him to like 15-20 minutes certain games. So helping him understand angles, nuances to play good defense while not putting himself in a position where the whistle might get blown.

Smith: Do you think Lattimer will play in the VHL? He's a prospect.

Mack: I think there's a chance. He's a better athlete than I ever was, and as a result, I think he might actually have a lot more in his tank when he decides to stop playing in the SBA. I've told him the same thing all along. Don't play just to play. Play to be the best, so if he thinks he can be the best in the VHL, he should give it a go.

Smith: What are your thoughts and reactions to what happened in Buffalo and Tulsa and Uvalde?

Mack: Lots of thoughts and reactions. Sadness. Confusion. What could have been differently? Why do we continue to politicize certain issues? Why our politicians are the least inspiring people our country has to offer and the worst communicators our nation has to offer? Why we now use the term 'mass shooting' to describe politicized events vs., say, what happens in certain cities every weekend? And just hoping we can all be safe and be good neighbors.

Smith: Any predictions on the rest of the NHL Playoffs?

Mack: I hate the Rangers and am pissed Carolina blew it against them. I'm hoping Edmonton makes a series out of this, think they'll figure out a way to get this series to 7 games though. Colorado's backup has to remember he's backup at some point, right? But we'll see. I think whoever wins Avalanche and Edmonton is winning it all, though. 

This wraps up the June edition with Alvin Mack.