Kurt Janser pondering about next season

Daniel Janser

Mississauga, 12th June 2022, late afternoon.

A stocky, elderly man sits on his front porch of the log house he inhabitates at the shores of Lake Ontario, sipping a cold one. The man's face is weathered from his time at sea and scared from battles past on the ice rink. We are looking at the GM of the Mississauga Hounds, Kurt Janser.

'So here we go again. Time to build yet another team with the veterans I have on my roster already with Cobberson and potentially Suzuki up front as well as Bob and Machine at the other side of the ice. We have all our picks which is good, and the draft is more shallow than the last two ones, which is kind of bad. And we do not have a netminder.' the old man talks to himself, as it helps him to think, when he hears himself saying his thoughts out loud. 

He sifts through the prospect coming up in the S84 draft. Luckily, there are some promising netminder talents available, and maybe last year's waiver Strasmore is still available as well, come the 2nd round. He would be a welcome reinforcement of the blueline.

'What to do, what to do? Lock down a franchise player like Strasmore or Eagles in the first round? Or going for a goaltender? So many questions, so few answers.'

He observes his younger son Marcel trying to get a pike in the dinghy he has borrowed from Kurt. 'Kid is too impatient, I told him a gazillion times that he needs to wear the fish out, or the line will snap.' As if on cue, Marcel almost makes a backwards somersault, when the line gives. He barely manages to stay in the boat and starts cursing, which needs to be audible in Rochester, across the invisible line which is the US-Canadian boarder. Kurt chuckles 'Boy deserved to get his ass wet for ignoring my advice.'

With a heavy sigh he goes back to his notes and works on his drafting plans again.

Quellbild anzeigen

Kurt's home.

Edited by Daniel Janser