Midway Through July Rambles

der meister

Another week. Another instance of me being entirely uncertain of what this article is about to say. My mind is racing, but in a dull way, like the back edge of a butter knife. 

One of our hedgehogs died overnight. She was the nice one. We got her about a year ago. She was born with the hedgehog version of multiple sclerosis, but never let that slow her down until the end, even when one of her legs would lose its strength, she would drag herself forward. She was so sweet, and our dog absolutely adored her. When I got home from work today, I exercised, then dug a hole in the back yard to bury our poor, unlucky hedgehog. She will be missed.

My birthday is in two weeks. I really don't feel like celebrating. I don't want any gifts, or frankly any attention. There's so much awful, so many horrid things happening in the United States, and in the world. Celebrating something as trivial as a birthday feels crass. 

The week after my birthday, we're going camping at a state park. I'm not an outdoorsy person, but it's something my wife wants to do, so I'm doing it for her. I might not have an article that week, so I guess that should spare you some of my unintentional emotional vampirism, at least. 

Finally, don't look now but yer boy Ryuji Sakamoto is tied with fellow defender Hammar Voss for 6th in VHL rookie scoring with 20 points. Not bad for a speedy, hard hitting punkass kid.

In other Legion news, while there are no Toronto players in the top 10 in goals, assists, or points, the team is only 3 points behind the D.C. Dragons for top of the North American conference. Scoring depth wins championships? I guess we'll see. In fact, the only Legion player in any of the non-special teams offensive top ten lists is Sakamoto, which is honestly shocking to me. Sakamoto also places 7th in penalty minutes. Forward Paul Atreides is tied for fourth in power play goals with 6, and tied for second in shorthanded goals with 1.

On the goalie side of things, Oskar Lindbergh is 3rd in save percentage [though first place has only played 3 games] and 5th in goals against [with two players ahead of him playing a combined 8 games]. Maybe it's not scoring depth as much as team defense that's leading to the Legion's success.

Until next time, VHL. Be good to each other, and yourselves.

Edited by der meister
added more vhl talk