Theme Week: 15 Years of VHL

So as a relatively new member I cannot share memories going further back than August last year. However, during my relatively short stint a few things have happened:

Revolution_1.png

I was here for the inaugural season of the JST and played for the Brigade together with my brother (very good way to catch all the users creating after the TDL and to give people a swing at GMing for the first time). We had a good time and already got a feeling what it will be like in the VHLM. The grind, (in the best sense of the word), the anticipation for the sims, the excitement/disappointment when you got the sims (depending on your/your teams performance.

Yo4Fndk.png

Another milestone during my time was, when the VHLE was given its maiden voyage. I personally think it is a great transition into the VHL from the VHLM. Let's be honest with 250 TPE you are nothing but a snack for the likes of the Vinny Detroits and Druss Deathwalkers out there who are in their prime and kick ass and take your lunch money. So my take is, that it is more meaningful and satisfying to compete with people around your caliber and make a contribution to your team's success rather than being a liability and only being one teeny-tiny step above a bot. And it gives you one more opportunity to get to know new users or share a locker room with long 'lost' friends again.

'Multi'-Tasking

Around the Christmas season 2021/22 there was a sudden surge of users having multiple accounts (upto seven) and updating all of them (where did they find the time?). The most harmful to the community arguably being the notorious Kachur/Horcrux entity.

I also was in the front seat when the Meta-curse was lifted. First I was lamenting how much worse my player will be (sorry @Beketov), but now I just accept that I have to grind harder to get one point more in defence at the end of the day.

Further and in addition, the ProAm tournament was brought back from the dead. Another off-season event, but this one being open to literally everyone (even retirees on their rocking chairs) and one I am looking forward to.

Now let's see what was fashionable when I was fifteen, shall we? Going down memory lane.

Bill Clinton (yeah right BILL not Hillary) was elected as the POTUS.

In the Summer Olympics in Barcelona, the first incarnation of the Dream Team around 'Magic' Johnson and 'Air' Jordan mops the floor with their opponents.

In Europe there was still a gazillion currencies in circulation and not the artificially created Euro (which was more fun for all the people collecting different bills from different countries).

South Africa votes to abandon Apartheid

In L.A. people start rioting when four police officers who abused Rodney King were found innocent by the court. They riots last six days and have a toll of 53 lifes.

Microsoft releases Windows 3.1.

'Basic Instinct' is the must-see movie for adolescent young adults.

The SNES is finally available in Germany.

'Rage against the Machine' publish their first album. It is also the founding year of Blink-182, Hanson and the Wu-Tang-Clan.

Denmark enters the Euro-Cup as a replacement team for Yugoslavia and wins the damn thing.

Erik Gudbranson is born (@Rhynex Entertainment). So are Neymar, Miley Cyrus and Daisy Ridley. In exchange Benny Hill, Marlene Dietrich and Willy Brandt shed their mortal coil.

To be claimed week ending 31.07.2022