Claimed:The tale of Jaime Hill

Caillean

Childhood:

v3PaUcI.jpg

Baby Jaime

Jaime Hill was born in Vancouver, British Columbia on November 12, 1994 to very young parents, aged 15 and 16. Because of this, she had a very rough childhood. Her parents split up when she was just three years old, leading to a sort of tug-of-war that had her splitting her time between parents until she was 14. At this age she had finally had enough, so she decided to move in with her mother full-time in Surrey, BC. This is where she met close friend and teammate Sachimo Zoidberg. Given her upbringing, Jaime had not played much hockey. Despite being much taller than the average 14 year old girl at almost six feet tall, she never felt the desire to play what so many considered to be solely a men's sport. Zoidberg quickly turned all that around. By pointing out to her that she had the perfect build to play as a defender and that it was a great way to channel any negative emotions she was having about her parents and childhood, Hill quickly realized that this was exactly the chance she had been waiting for.

High School:

G27OaAR.gif

Practicing with the Youth League
Hill attended Fleetwood Park Secondary school along with Zoidberg. Despite quickly picking up the game and showing natural talent as a defender, fear of being ostracized for her gender led to Hill's decision to stay away from the school's hockey team. She continued playing in the city's youth hockey leagues until age 16, when she was no longer eligible. At that point, she went back to playing mostly with Zoidberg while focusing on finishing school.

College:

Q2zXm8S.jpg

After graduation at 17, Hill moved to Coquitlam to attend Vancouver Career College where she studied to be a Veterinary Technician. While she loved hockey she did not believe it would be a suitable career choice for her, so she didn't play very much. She worked at a Veterinary Hospital in Coquitlam for almost three years while finishing school. After graduating, she decided to move back to Surrey to be closer to her family and friends again. Upon moving back to Surrey just shy of her 20th birthday, she decided to give her friend Zoidberg a call. Little did she know, that call would change her future.

“I called up Zoidberg to see how he was doing, we had fallen a bit out of touch during the time I lived in Coquitlam as he was busy with his WHL career. He told me about how he had just gotten claimed off waivers by the Yukon Rush of the VHL. I expressed my envy, because despite not feeling like it would be a good career choice for me, my real dream had been to play for a team in the VHL someday. Zoidberg then mentioned that the Rush were looking for a defender and that I should come try out. It took a lot of pushing but I'm glad he did, because the Rush decided to give me a chance.”

Kk01zLA.jpg

Hill brings the pain.

Pros:

Defense – Hill is a natural defender. With her large body and superior strength, she has quickly learned how to use her body positioning to her advantage, blocking shots and preventing players from getting too close to the goal. Her defensive play is one of the skills Hill constantly works to improve, practicing her shot blocking without a goalie while playing with Zoidberg who is a notably great scorer.

Skating – In spite of her size, Hill can skate with great speed and stamina. She put in a lot of practice hours to improve and her endurance saw her averaging 30 minutes in each of the just 27 games she played in her first season with the Yukon Rush. She prides herself on being able to outskate much smaller and more agile players.

Checking – Hill also excels at using her size to keep players off the puck. She led the Rush in hits in her first season while playing less games than most of the team, due to her late entry into the VHL. With her size, she can easily knock players off the puck and keep them off. She also has a tendency to put out some very big hits which can be difficult to immediately recover from, giving her more time to get the puck to her forwards.

Cons:

Puck Handling – Due to working so much on using her size to her advantage, she spent minimal time working on her puck handling. She has a tendency to lose the puck if she has to put out a burst of speed, and if pressured too hard she sometimes panics and loses possession.

Scoring – Similarly, Hill focuses so much on her defensive game that she hasn't put much work into an offensive game. She has a hard but very inaccurate shot, and prefers to get the puck to better scorers than try to take shots on her own. It is something that she hopes to improve a bit with time, but as she plans to stay mostly a defensive defender it is not something that she plans on spending too much time on.

Passing – As with her puck handling, Hill has issues with passing. When under a lot of pressure she has a tendency to misjudge who to pass to, and will also occasionally pass too hard or too soft, causing turnovers. This is mostly because of her lack of organized professional play and mostly playing with one or two other players, she did not realize how important good passing is in professional play.

Overview:3/3

Excellent job covering your childhood, high school and college life. I liked that she started from the bottom basically, and only got into hockey in her early teens which is great. 929 words. 

Grammar: 2/2

Nothing.

Presentation: 1/1

Pictures!

Pros: 2/2

Looks good.

Cons: 2/2

Looks good!

FINAL: 10/10