Bogatyrev Reacts to Receiving Cologne Captaincy

Bojovnik

The Cologne Express took the decision last week to name young Russian forward Yaroslav Bogatyrev as the team’s captain. Many in the German press considered this to be a surprise move, given that Bogatyrev was entering his debut VHLE season and was the youngest player on the team, but the S86 VHL Entry Draft prospect appears to have left his mark on the Express management and players.

“It was certainly a surprise, but it is an achievement I am super proud of,” Bogatyrev said on Monday.

According to sources inside the Express locker room, the team’s players took a vote on who would wear the C and the As for the team this season.

“It’s certainly a great feeling to have the support of your teammates. Of course, we have a fantastic locker room and any of a group of five guys could have the C on their chest. However, that responsibility has fallen on my shoulders and I certainly do not take this lightly,” Bogatyrev said.

It remains to be seen whether Bogatyrev will spend a second season in the VHLE after S85, with some scouts projecting that the big-bodied Russian forward could make the jump directly to the pros in his draft+1 year.