Step One Complete

CowboyinAmerica

:dav:

Davos, Switzerland -- When HC Davos Dynamo fell to the fourth seed in the European Conference, there was consternation among the fanbase, and for good reason: Anything can happen in a wild card round. Five games against a tough team in the Malmo Nighthawks would be a real challenge, compared to a first round bye.

And indeed, it was a challenge: The Davos/Malmo series went to five games. But in the end, the Dynamo were able to pull it out, winning the decisive Game 5 by a score of 3-1. In the final game, recently acquired goalie Xavier Booberry finished with 26 saves on 27 shots, and overall for the series had a .935 save percentage and 1.99 goals against average.

"It's what I came here to do," Booberry said. "I hadn't won a playoff series before, so that's a nice weight off my back. But our work is nowhere near done."

Indeed, Davos now plays a Warsaw team that dominated the conference during the regular season, which would give many players pause. But the Dynamo played Warsaw close during the regular season, and to hear the locker room tell it, they're feeling good heading into the series.

"We may be underdogs, but nothing is a sure thing in hockey," Booberry said. "Last time the Dynamo won it all, they were a three seed. We're a four, but I think we can make the same sort of run. It's time to show what this talent can do."