Thunder’s wordcast for the impaired podcaster - Episode #8

Thunder

Yet another episode of Thunder’s wordcast for the impaired podcaster, episode #8.  If you have never read Thunder’s wordcasts, visualize you have earbuds in and are listening to a podcast but with your eyes because Thunder still doesn’t have the cajones to do a legitimate podcast.  Today’s wordcast will discuss hockey fans, VHL playoffs, and of course Brian Payne.

The first part, regarding hockey fans, is going to be somewhat of a bitch session because I went to a hockey game Saturday night and while at the game I was naturally thinking about possibly recruiting someone, which I quickly dismissed, and then I came up with the wordcast topic.  I’m gonna start with the National Anthem.  For whatever reason, the Everett Silvertips fans think it so cool to yell “fight” during the American National Anthem and “love” during the Canadian National Anthem.  I’m not sure why these people think it’s OK to be disrespectful like this, but I have never seen nor heard this at any other sporting event.

Perhaps it is this disrespect that allows them to think they are more knowledgeable about the game of hockey than the coach.  Let me set the stage for this…  We have season tickets to the Tips and are center ice, front row, second level.  Most people in our section are also season ticket holders and over the years we have gotten to know our hockey neighbors.  I guess I shouldn’t say section, but immediate area is a more appropriate description.  Several years ago, there was a rather obnoxious person behind us who really liked her cowbell.  Normally I could give a shit about the cowbell being rung but this one was right in my ear the whole game, every game she attended and was annoying as hell.  It made hockey not so fun.  After discussing the issue with my wife, she allowed me to purchase the seats behind us to eliminate this cowbell issue.  We also could put those tickets to good use so it worked out fine.

Everything was just fine for the next two years, until there was a ticket screw up in the playoffs and Tips ticket people released our second row seats to the general public.  Ugh.  By the time I figured this out, the tickets were sucked up by someone else and the ticket yahoos couldnt fix it.  Couldn’t or wouldn’t, doesn’t matter.

These new people are obviously hockey experts, or rather one of them is, because there always seems to be a hockey 101 class every game, and throughout the game in a variety of situations.  Whether it be the offside rule, penalties, or power plays, this guy likes to talk loud enough so that all of us around him get the message that he is the wikipedia of hockey rules.  The only problem is that half the time his head is so far up his ass he doesn’t know what he is talking about.

And then there are the power play screamers.  It is amazing how the fans know when the player should shoot on net, regardless of the fact that there are four defenders between the player with the puck and the goal.  To some fans, as soon as the puck crosses the blue line or as soon as we win the face off, there should be a shot on goal.  Shut the fuck up and let the play develop.  Geez!

And then there is the wife…   She goes to the games to socialize.  Maybe its because I don’t want to talk to her!!  I feel sorry for the ones next to us who have to talk to her half the game, but hey, at least while she’s talking to them, she’s not talking to me and I can enjoy hockey.  Well, I didnt enjoy the game Saturday night as the score was 9-2 after two periods and the Tips weren’t ahead.  I think the Tips goalies were wearing sleep masks and not goalie masks.  Since the wife is a fair weather fan, she wanted to leave after before the third period started.  So off we went.  I think its time for me to find excuses for a while so I don’t have to go to the games, and that way, if and when I decide to go back I should have a much better attitude.

The next discussion is the VHL playoffs.  As you all know Chicage squeaked past Seattle in four games, while HC Davos beat up on Malmo in five games.  Now Chicago goes against Calgary while Davos challenges Warsaw.  London goes against Moscow and DC takes on Vancouver.  The only match that is a certain is Davos is going to crush Warsaw, whether it be a sweep or not that has yet to be determined!

That leads me to the last part of this discussion, that being Brian Payne.  For too long all @Scurvy does is whine about how Brian Payne doesnt fight.  And then he cries that if he does get into a fight, he either loses or draws.  The results bewilder him and I’ve tried to explain that Payne is not going to be knuckle dragger if his caloric intake consists of sponge cake and whiteclaws.  The best part of Payne’s fighting history this season is that Thunder kicked the shit out of Payne on the first matchup and although I have tried to get a rematch to give Payne a chance, he has yet to drop the gloves against Thunder since.  Instead, Brian Payne will hide behind Vasile Lamb and talk trash and let Thunder fight Lamb.

I do have to give @Scurvy some credit though because he was the one who got me interested in the VHL and I have enjoyed every minute of it.  Now, for Brian Payne, Jake Thunder has a challenge for him.  Thunder will put one arm behind his back during game one to give Payne a chance to fight and possible even win.  If that doesn’t work, Thunder is even willing to allow Payne to take three shots at Thunder before reacting to the tickling.  Think about it Payne, you have a minimum of four games to make amends and get in a fight against Thunder.  Also keep in mind that I’m going to be checking the stats and screenshotting any “Brian Payne is hit by Jake Thunder, Brian Payne loses the puck” and will be sending them to you.  I hope you have time to read them!

Of course if HC Davos doesnt do as predicted and loses to Warsaw, Brian Payne will have bragging rights until next season, which will only enhance the rivalry and the shit talking.

1113 words