Three First Gens who’ve impacted Thunder

Thunder

It’s theme week, and doing a write up about Jake Thunder and his experience as a first gen would be boring and probably not even worth reading so I’m going to write about the first gens who have had the biggest impact with my experience in the VHL and how they molded Jake Thunder’s career.  If you’re sensitive, you may not want to read some of this because you might cry or at the very least get emotional.

The person who I have to credit or blame, depending on how you might look at it is Scurvy.  I still remember Scurvy’s persistence on convincing me to join the VHL.  He would sit at his desk, doing nothing as usual, but more importantly he would make comments about how he scored a goal, got an assist, or got into a fight.  Initially I thought he was on NHL 22 on his I-phone and I couldn’t figure out what the hell he was doing.  Then he told me how he found a hockey league and how he’s building his player based on his player name Brian Payne.  He bragged about how the Payne Train was leading his team in hits and was hoping to be drafted high in the draft.  He explained how he had to earn TPE to improve his skills and write articles or do graphics every week.  All of this was over my head and somewhat confusing.  Nevertheless, Scurvy was patient and eventually got me to join the league, and Brian Payne has had a huge impact on Jake Thunder’s career.

Brian Payne

Brian Payne is a superstar, although @Scurvy will never give Payne the credit that Payne deserves.  Brian Payne started in the VHLM on the San Diego Marlins, and focused on being a heavy hitter.  Payne enjoyed crashing into opponents and breaking bones.  He looked forward every day to get into fights and to contribute to his team with penalty minutes.  The “Payne Train” made him giddy and his quest for a team championship was more important than scoring goals.  Now, Scurvy has always paid attention to his +/- on NHL 10-22 on Xbox, to the point that he wouldn’t let me in the locker room if his +/- was in jeopardy.  But, in the VHLM, he finished the season with a -21, which may have played an impact on his draft.

Bratislava was smart in picking Brian Payne up in the VHLE draft as Payne continued to demonstrate his strength and devotion of being a team player and sticking up for his teammates.  It was during this season that Scurvy introduced Thunder to the VHL and to Shindigs.  And the mentoring was greatly appreciated; however, given Scurvy’s limited skills with explaining how to navigate through the forum, I had to reach out to Shindigs more often than not.  But that’s a side note, let’s get back to Brian Payne.

Payne’s performance in the E was decent and he continued to put up some good numbers that proved his value as a defensive stud.  He continued to enjoy high numbers in hits and blocked shots.  And he complained every time he was not involved in a fight or when, especially when, he lost a fight.  In the end, he was also proud of his penalty minutes.  I guess the Payne Train kept on rolling down the tracks.

I was hoping that Brian Payne would stay in the E another season so that Jake Thunder could face Payne, but that wasn’t the case.  He was drafted by Warsaw and he immediately adapted to the team and had some high praises about the team and their management.  Payne’s numbers remained on pace with previous years, getting high numbers due to his physical play and contributing with scoring but not dominating.  Last season Brian Payne dominated the hits, penalty minutes, shots blocked, and put up some impressive numbers in assists and goals, thus earning him  the well deserved defensive player of the year.

As Payne gets ready for his later years now, his TPE is being used selectively and his performance is respectable, but not on pace as last season’s output.  On a sad note for Payne, his fighting is somewhat pitiful and I hear about it from Scurvy more often than not.  Jake Thunder continues to wait for the opportunity to drop gloves with Brian Payne, but that may never happen considering Payne’s propensity to try to be a tough guy, only to flaunt his endorsement by Curve’s and his Payne Train clothing line of Spandex.

Bo Johansson

The next first gen player who had a big impact on Jake Thunder is none other than Bo Johansson.  @Shindigs does not participate like he’s a first gen player.  He seems to be so knowledgeable of the ins and outs of the VHL and is so generous with his time and assistance.  He is a genuine good person who shares his experience with everyone and helps make them a better person and player.  Shindigs has been instrumental in Thunder’s growth.  I often look at Bo Johansson’s update log so that I can stay informed on how to earn TPE.  If I don’t know how to put in for something, I first go to Johansson’s player page and then to Shindigs if I can’t figure it out.

Like Brian Payne, Bo Johansson started the M in season 81.  Johansson was on the Miami Marauders and his season in the VHLM was impressive.  It was quickly known that Johansson would have an outstanding career as an offensive defenseman.  Johansson is a pass first defenseman offensively, and a strong man on defense.  His VHLM hits and shots blocked were off the hook, and to top it off he was well disciplined in the M.

Bo Johansson joined Brian Payne at Bratislava in the VHLE and it became apparent that Johansson was the defensive star of the team.  He dominated the ice with assists and blocked shots.  It was during this time that Jake Thunder was introduced to Bo Johansson.  I will never forget a graphic review I did on a graphic by Shindigs.  His graphic was done really well and with the meticulous attention I have gotten to know and appreciate Shindigs’ abilities.  At any rate, I completely missed his purpose of connecting the “O” and the “J” in the graphic which was to emphasize Johansson’s nickname, “BoJo.”  At that moment, I realized how talented members of the VHL were and looked at graphics through a different lens.

Bo Johansson started off his career in the big leagues with a bang and won the rookie of the year award.  His offensive talents were on display all season as well as his ability to block shots.  Bo Johansson continues to work hard and is on pace to break all of his earlier records.  He is likely to earn the defensive player of the year, most assists, and offensive defenseman of the year.  Choosing Johansson in the fantasy league may prove to be one of my smartest decisions.

Unlike Brian Payne, Bo Johansson does not partake in questionable off the ice debacles.  While Brian Payne is often seen drinking white claws and singing Olivia Newton-John songs on karoake nights, Bo Johansson is studying and dissecting the opponents stats and tendencies, preparing for the next game.  Shindigs is quite talented with the way the STHS works and is very knowledgeable on maximizing TPE.  As a first gen player, Shindigs is one of the best and its an honor to know him.

Siyan Yasilievich

Another first gen player who has impacted Jake Thunder’s career is Siyan Yasilievich.  @badcolethetitan is a driving force in the Davos locker room and his leadership was recognized early on in his career.  Thunder met Yasilievich when they joined the rebuilding Davos squad and have bonded as teammates.  Although they are currently on different lines, they have good chemistry and are both involved in the success of the Dynamo.

Prior to being Yasilievich’s teammate, Thunder only knew of Yasilievich as someone who dominated the VHLM and the VHLE.  Yasilievich was a star for Philadelphia and then Istanbul.  Yasilievich made his mark and there was no doubt he would be sought out by the first team in need of a defenseman in the draft.

Yasilievich has an energy that is unmatched and as the team captain he lifts the team to levels beyond their normal abilities.  His leadership is on display on the ice as well as in the locker room.  Another trait that sets Yasilievich apart from other first gen players is his attitude.  He is always bringing out the best in people because of his positive, optimistic attitude.

One might not realize that Cole is a first gen because his knowledge of the league is advanced and consistent with a player who has more seasons under his belt.  He’s on his third season as a GM for the Mexico City Kings and his knowledge of the league is on display with his outstanding decision making.  In addition to a GM role, he was AGM for two seasons.  Cole applies his knowledge of the league to his player and has made Yasilievich a superstar.  As a first gen player Siyan Yasilievich will definitely catch everyone’s attention for the next five seasons and will be sporting several trophies, whether it be an individual trophy or a team trophy.  In the meantime, Thunder will continue to look for Yasilievich for encouragement and advice.

If there is anything about Cole that needs improvement it would definitely be his affection for the Buffalo Sabres.  Him being a Sabres fan causes me to wonder why!  How could someone so intelligent, so energetic, and so skilled, be a fan of such a crappy team.  Clearly he has no appreciation of real hockey, otherwise he’d be a Bruins fan!

1638 words - claiming for three weeks

Been a joy getting to know you and working with your on your player's development. And as far as questionable off-ice antics goes. Bo being the biggest sellout in pro sports history (except maybe Shaq) with his Clue Glue™ endorsements could certainly count as questionable. 😅

• 2 weeks later...