Let the Off Season Start

Aimee

Well, that’s that I suppose. Jesse Teno’s rookie season ends in the wildcard round of the playoffs with the London United. Jesse did not get any ice time during the round but as a backup, playoff time is never guaranteed. Jesse’s rookie season ends with 11 games played and a 7-3-1 record, 0.923 save percentage, and 2.43 goals against average. 

“Honestly it’s hard seeing the team not make it past the wild card round. I wish I would have had the chance to play in the VHL playoffs but I guess it wasn’t in the cards for me. Rumor has it I’ll be the starter next season so I guess we’ll see if the coaches and admins still think I’m good enough to stay on that track. Hopefully the long off season will give me a chance to keep working on my strength and skills to be ready for next season.”

After a much needed break over the weekend, Jesse returned home to Vermont to begin their training for next season. They have been spotted running through their home town in the mornings before heading to the local hockey rink. “Sometimes there’s a kids league there and I let them take shots at me to practice but it also gives me something new to try. Kids can be a lot more resourceful and sneakier than pro players so sometimes they do get one up on me.”

Jesse has shared that they plan to change up their training in order to be ready for next season and they are hoping to hook up with other VHL players in the area in order to get in some real practice while they are away from London. 

But when not training, Jesse can also be found working on The Teno Foundation in the offices of the local rink. So far the foundation has raised about $20,000 to provide equipment and lessons to underprivileged kids in Vermont. As of the holiday weekend the foundation has supplied equipment to an additional 20 families on top of the previously reported 150. “I’m really proud of this foundation and I’m grateful to everyone who has donated not only money but time. Some of our workers who give lessons are doing so as volunteers and without them we wouldn’t be able to impact as many kids as we have.”

Aside from all that, Jesse has also been spending time with their fiancé around Manchester shopping and meeting up with old friends. A lot of their down time seems to be spent at either the Northshire Bookstore or the pinball arcade across the street. And since it is quite snowy up in Vermont, Jesse has also returned to their first sport, skiing. “I haven’t been on the slopes at home in a long time and honestly I forgot just how much I love skiing Bromley. I know it’s not the fanciest or the biggest but it’s home and it's where I learned to ski.” Jesse’s fiancé also joined them on the slopes a few times, though she seems to be just as comfortable sitting in the lodge with a book and a hot chocolate.

527 words for week ending 1/1/2023

Review:

Great article about your season and your plans for the upcoming season. Always fun to read what a player will be doing and plans for training for the next season. Good length on the article and don't really see much cons in this article. I would just maybe add a picture to make it stand out but that's about it really. 9/10