Booberry Gears Up for Team USA

CowboyinAmerica

:usa:

Lake Placid, NY -- It's an even-numbered offseason, which means one thing in the hockey world: a World Cup is coming! Once again, HC Davos Dynamo goalie Xavier Booberry has been chosen for the squad, marking his third appearance on the senior U.S. team.

This year though, Booberry is chasing something he hasn't yet been able to accomplish on Team USA: a gold medal. In the Season 82 World Cup, Team USA got so close, with then-starting goalie Thadius Sales helping lead the team to the final game. A 3-2 loss to Team Nordic, however, destroyed their dreams. Then in Season 84, Team USA once again got to the semifinals with Booberry as the starter, but two straight losses in the semis and bronze medal game sent them home without any hardware at all.

But now, Booberry is feeling a lot more confident, both in his own skills and his team's chances. "I feel like I'm more seasoned, and this year with Davos I got as far as I ever have in the VHL playoffs. I'm feeling ready," Booberry said. "And it doesn't hurt having all of this talent around me."

Indeed, the U.S. team is looking strong, especially on defense with a lineup of Erlantz Jokinen, Max Torq, Brian Payne and Jake Thunder playing in front of Booberry. But the veteran goalie knows better than to call his team the favorites.

"I know there's a lot of strong teams out there and anybody can win. But I'd put our squad right there with the best of them," Booberry added. "I'm excited to just get this thing started."