Davos Roster Largely Settled, Hoping for Breakout

CowboyinAmerica

:dav:

Davos, Switzerland -- Although we’re partially only through the off-season, in Davos, things are looking fairly settled. Team management was aggressive early and often directly after the finals, undertaking a series of trades that saw popular players like Vinny Detroit and Calix Pearce shipped out of town for salary cap reasons. Meanwhile, the team traded up into the 10th pick of the VHL Draft in order to give them the best chance at snapping up a preferred prospect.

But following that draft, which saw defenseman David Jokinen come on board to the open VHL defenseman slot as well as Admir Bala join the prospect pool, HC Davos Dynamo are right at the salary cap. And barring any last minute shake-ups, the team has its roster set for this season - a roster that looks a lot like last year’s but with the hope to advance just a bit further.

“Last season we made it a game away from the VHL finals. And with another season together to grow and gel, I really do think we can make it even further,” said Davos goalie Xavier Booberry. “Sometimes, it takes time to find the right mix. But this year, I’m hoping we can hit the ground running.”

Booberry’s also hoping for stronger play from himself. His first full season in Davos wasn’t poor by any means, but also didn’t place him in contention for a Shaw Trophy that he’d already won twice prior. Especially after a strong playoffs that saw him go 10-4-2 with a .936 save percentage, however, he’s hoping the good momentum carries him forward.

“With only two seasons left, I really think I need to make the most of every opportunity,” Booberry added. “And luckily, I think we’ve got the infrastructure here in Davos to do just that.”