Wann Kerr motivating the next waves of czech players

VattghernCZ

Every player puts their offseason in good use. It's the time of the year to put on some muscle weight and work on their technical skills to come back stronger, tougher and faster than before next season. This was the case for Wann Kerr as well, naturally. This offseason he's focusing on his shot and adding muscle the most, and it pays out - at the training camp that's about to end, he's already looking like one of the stronger Wolves players.

But that's not the only thing the czech forward focused on. Despite what seems to be a brutal workout schedule, he often finds a way to visit kids' hockey trainings to motivate the kids and give a few tips to the coaches. It's one thing for the youngsters to hear about the deeds of the country's pro players, but meeting them, speaking to them in person and having the opportunity to touch a WJHC gold medal is a different thing. 

"Look at pro czech players. Whether it is VHL or its lesser wannabe rival league NHL, most of the czech players there don't come from czech hockey leagues nowadays. They play in Canadian junior hockey leagues, in NCAA, in Scandinavia, in Switzerland, you name it. There's just no real development program here. Just a bunch of clubs with funding not even worth talking about. And the pro junior league... Players whose parents are rich find a way into it more often than really talented kids. If I can do my part in building a foundation of a development program for a new wave of czech players, I'm happy to do so." - said Wann Kerr for czech media. And it looks like he's backing up what he's saying.

It was confirmed Kerr met with Czech Ice Hockey Federation executives and made a significant donation to help youth hockey funding. It looks like getting a few professional hockey seasons under his belt has changed his priorities completely. Before joining the VHL structure, Kerr had stated his goal is to fulfill his dream of running a reptile zoo - or "the best reptile zoo the world has ever seen" as he said - but now he looks commited to his new cause. Perhaps a place in player development is in Kerr's cards after his pro player career is over.

But that's far enough in future. Now Kerr is preparing himself for his rookie season in the big league with the Wolves. The freshmen competition will be really tough, with a lot of high profile prospects graduating. Even though Kerr's newest cause is an important one, he should not get distracted if he wants to rise to the top of his draft class. His top-10 pick pedigree and playing for a reigning Founders Cup champion definitely light fire under him, perhaps enough for him to set his eyes on the Stolzschweiger Trophy? He said he doesn't aspire to win it, his priority is performing well in a role his team needs him to. But there's nothing wrong with overperforming, is there?

hockey-drills-for-kids.jpg

Article Review 

I like how I can picture Kerr fighting to try and get an established player development program in place for all kids . I also like the iSight on his dreams and plans with his money after retirement . Let’s not forget about his look into the upcoming season and how he’s prepared for a rookie season with the wolves

9/10 very well written and the story is so clear and draws you in