USA World Cup Ends in Disappointment

CowboyinAmerica

:usa:

Wherever the World Cup is Played -- Entering the Season 86 World Cup, Team USA had high expectations. Bolstered by a strong defensive corps and two excellent goaltenders, an official VSN preview article had even called the USA the team to beat. At the very least, people expected to see them in the medal rounds once again, following their S84 bronze.

However, it wasn't meant to be. With a middling 4-5-1 record, Team USA finished fifth in the round robin, only ahead of Team World. The team then faced Canada in the quarterfinals and lost 3-1, in a game where they were outshot 39-28 and couldn't get anything going on offense.

"It's a disappointment, for sure," said USA goalie Xavier Booberry after the Canada loss. "We only play a few games for our country every two years; this is something we look forward to. But this time around, things just never seemed to gel."

Players didn't pass around blame after the loss, with many simply expressing sadness at the outcome. For Booberry, who isn't sure whether he will be retired before the next World Cup comes around, it's despair at the loss of opportunity.

"A gold may just be something I never get to add to my resume, it is what it is," he added. "I'll be rooting for Team USA from the bench either way though, I want to see them get a win one of these years."