Summer Projects

jacobcarson877

Here are a list of some VHL-related projects that I’m hoping to do, time allowing, starting in the summer. Spartan wanted forum content so I suppose this could work.

First thing I want to do, as I learn web scraping and such, is create a TPE tracker for my players, I have one that I keep up manually for the first little bit of the season (I forgot last week already), and it is a real hassle to update, so why not get a computer to do it for me! Basically it would just break down who has earned what, and in what way. It would then show what is left that could be earned and provide links to that task. I know AJ was talking about this as a league-wide initiative, right on the forum, but I will simply try to make it a reality for my team.

Secondly, after I get some experience under my belt, I want to see what sorts of stats I can scrape from the full play-by-play in the games. Add in the index stats and create a sheet full of yummy stats I can do some analysis on. I feel like there is a wealth of knowledge in the full play-by-play.

I also want to eventually get STHS up and running and do some testing of my own. I’m not sure what I’d do yet, but I’d be looking to generate more stats for analysis later, since lack of stats is really the drawback of my current process. If I can generate another 50 seasons of data or something insane like that, and not manually add it to my sheet like I did before, there is a lot more I could do on the topic of player builds and line management, with far more certainty.

Web scraping the portal is fairly easy, making a dashboard is a bit trickier due to all the different inputs. I've wanted to get portal API access for a bit now for other personal projects but that went on the back burner a while ago. Might need to circle back on that and see if I can get access without fucking up the server load.