The Junior Showcase is underway, scouting has begun, and the VHLM draft approaches!

nerji

The playoffs and off season have felt like they've taken forever. While it can be exciting for those in the playoffs, it feels like a very long wait for someone like myself who is yet to be drafted. Sure I was able to cheer on Davos and San Diego in their respective playoff games but eventually I'd like to be part of the team actually playing in those playoff games! Now that the playoffs are over, things are starting to move! Congratulations to the winners of the various leagues by the way: Calgary Wranglers (VHL), Cologne Express (VHLE), and Ottawa Lynx (VHLM).

First, is the Junior Showcase Tournament which finally gives me a chance to see myself in action against other junior players. So far, it's been a little disappointing as I only have 2 goals and 2 assists in 10 games.I guess overall for my first time on the ice in the VHL isn't too bad but you always want to see yourself do better. The team, however, is doing quite well sitting in the middle of the pack of teams all separated by only four points. It looks like there is still a large number of games remaining so there is plenty of time to keep adding to our totals as well as my personal totals hopefully. Ice time seems a little skewed as well with a couple forwards closing in on 30 minutes a game versus my 15 minutes per game but as a rookie this happens and probably should if a team want to win games. It's still been fun watching the results roll in, lets go Warriors!

While the JST is going on, teams have begun scouting for the draft! Always an exciting time when you start getting to talk to teams about their plans for themselves, yourself and getting the chance to ask the usual beginner questions. It's always interesting to see how many teams reach out and see their various different scouting methods and I very much look forward to talking to several teams. Hopefully as the draft approaches I'll hear from more teams as well!

Speaking of the draft, it has felt like it's taken forever since I created my player. It's only been just over two weeks (16 days) but it's exciting getting into the league and just FEELS like it's been longer. There is no date set for the VHLM draft yet but it's definitely inching closer and closer with each day that passes and I am really looking forward to finding a home!

While there is no draft date set, I continue working on my TPE and applying it as I continue to train harder. Really looking forward to getting some training help as I progress since I am very unfamiliar with the VHL still so some words of wisdom are always welcome. In the meantime, I'll keep hanging out in a couple teams locker rooms chatting with people, absorbing knowledge and generally just having a really fun time.

500 words

I'm with you in the frustration waiting for any action. Then I didn't even play in the first 2 junior games! Then did nothing in my next 3 games. Ah well, as long as things progress. 

On 3/21/2023 at 3:15 PM, LastOneUp said:

I'm with you in the frustration waiting for any action. Then I didn't even play in the first 2 junior games! Then did nothing in my next 3 games. Ah well, as long as things progress. 

It's hard due to timing of joining but we have the draft coming up soon and that's when the fun will begin! In the JST I am playing almost half as many minutes as some forwards and barely producing but I think it's a mostly for fun thing. Soon we'll have a team! :)

Good way to show your tenacity! If you hang around while not really playing much or contributing much to the Showcase team you are on....just think how active you will be once you are drafted and have improved!!

At least that is what I keep telling myself! HAHA