Spin That Wheel: Mini Biography - Edition 4

Advantage

Spin That Wheel: Mini Biography - Edition 4

h8sPrLg.jpg

Well I certainly wasn't expecting to spin the wheel and land on one of my best friends, but alas that is where the RPG of this series came into effect.  The first wheel sent us along the path to the Season 78 Draft, one that contained heavy hitters like Hard Markinson, Tui Sova and many more.  And who would I manage to land on with the second wheel? With the 43rd overall pick...G - ANIME PROTAGONIST (392 TPE).  This is an interesting one as for those that do not know, I am very close with this agency, as they were the Best Man at my actual wedding this past September.  It's also interesting because he is the first player that I have profiled that did not make the VHL! With that being said, he had a pretty long career so there is still some good sizable content to cover with Mr. Protagonist.

Anime was a bit of a journeyman in the VHLM, playing on three different teams over four overall seasons.  His career started with the Saskatoon Wild where he was signed after the deadline and won all three games that he started for them.  He used that momentum to earn a spot as the starter of the San Diego Marlins the very next year, and won 37 games, albeit with pretty mediocre results in save percentage (.873), as he struggled at times when pressured more by some of the more talented teams in the minors.  Finishing his career on a mediocre Aces club that saw the young goaltender record a less-than-stellar 32-74-8 record, but did see notable improvements in his overall play, despite the higher rubber counts.  After this adventure of a VHLM career that saw him start 189 regular season games and 14 playoff games, he would move on to Cologne of the VHLE, after being selected with the 72nd overall pick in Season 80.  

It was Anime's time in Cologne that he is certainly most known for.  Playing for the Season 80 Express in a backup role, Protagonist shined with a 5-3 record, a .945 Save Percentage and a 2.26 GAA.  These numbers were night and day from his tumultuous time in the minors.  He would play five total seasons for the Express, registering an impressive 96-40-16 record over 165 games, and adding a .923 Save Percentage and 2.78 GAA.  His playoff showings were pretty decent as well, with a 8-9-3 record and a .927 Save Percentage and 3.16 GAA, showing that despite facing higher-level competition, Anime kept the Express in games despite the rest of the team perhaps not always doing the same.  Unfortunately for Mr. Protagonist, that also meant that he never did win it all, which is ironic given the name, but unsurprising given him always seemingly being on good but not great teams.  He should be remembered though as a consistent goaltender that guided the Express franchise for the majority of his career.

TAG: @Jericho

Spin That Wheel - 4.png

Spin That Wheel - 4.2.png