Tim Riggins - Rookie Experience

Jayhawk

Words: 595

“Well look what we have here, another forward!  I think Riggins might arguably have a higher ceiling than Barca. It was a nice balance by Warsaw to draft a high floor forward, and then a high ceiling forward. The question still remains if Warsaw can even clear a path for these young prospects to the big leagues.”

This is what Draft experts had to say when Warsaw called Tim Riggins 13th Overall in the VHL draft. Riggins looked Surprised to hear his name this early in the draft. Of all the teams that interviewed him, Moscow seemed the most likely at 15 overall. Warsaw never sat down with Riggins to interview him. 

“ I can’t say I was expecting it. I had a great rookie season in the VHLM. I thought I should have gone top 10 to be honest. I know what I’m capable of so I thought top 10 for sure. When the interviews came and the highest anyone ever said I could go was 15, it was a bit of a shock, to be honest.”

In truth, there were rumblings of Riggins possibly at 11 Overall but obviously, that didn’t happen. 

Riggins Rookie season in Mexico City was a very good one for the rookie. +10, 29 goals, 62 assists, 91 points. Anyone could see he was raw but the potential was high.  When Warsaw drafted him 13th overall, Riggins made a decision to make his value high and make all the GMs that skipped him take notice. 

gMf1xQU.jpg

“I went into my second season with something to prove. I had played with a legend din Alex Stroheim. My rookie season was his last in Mexico. He put up 150 points. So when I came back for my second season with Mexico I decided I would fill the Stroheim void.”

That he did, he went on a goal-scoring spree finishing top of the VHLM with 65 goals. He added 62 assists for 127 points. He also tallied 7 hat-tricks throughout the season. Not a bad way to follow up a solid rookie season. 

KvSrfhN.jpg

" I learned a lot in my rookie season. Playing with players that are better than you gives you two choices. 1- Give up trying to be better, because what's the point? or 2 - Push yourself to their level.  Yes, it's hard work, and yes it's time-consuming being in the gym longer, on the ice longer, training longer and harder. But in the end, it pays off. You become one of them."

In terms of his future and what his goals are, Riggins didn't hold back anything.

" If you're playing at this level you have to want to be a Champion. How can you not? You put in all that work, all those hours, it's to be the best you can be and become a Champion. In terms of personal goals. I want to be useful to my team. I want to be the guy they utilize in all situations. If I score a ton, Great. If I'm in a shutdown role, that's fine. " 

hOrsjT8.jpg

With Riggins embarking on his first season in the VHL, he will have a lot to prove. Warsaw is not a bottom dweller in terms of the league. He will have to find his place and begin to excel at his position. While that hasn't been an issue before, this is probably the biggest jump of his career, bypassing the VHLE completely. Time will tell if Warsaw made the right decision, but if his past is any indication, they made a great one.