As Season 88 starts, a reflection on Season 87

JCarson

Season 88 Begins, and yet I find myself again reflecting on Season 87. Not making the playoffs for season 87 made the offseason seem exceptionally long. It gave a significant amount of time to sit back and reflect on what happened. What went wrong and how do we fix it? What went right and how do we use it to grow further? 

We had one main issue last season, individual players who were playing for themselves and not for the team. The entire locker room discussion was about players wanting specific lines, production amounts and playing time or they would retire their player or demand a trade from the team. We had individual players trying to hold the GM hostage. Honestly, I don’t think this issue is new to the league. This issue became a problem when the GM decided to grant these requests in hopes of keeping people happy and potentially on the team, thinking that was the only way to success. The surprising part was that the players making the demands were not the best players on the team, they lacked proper player development (sub optimal builds) and were inconsistent TPE earners. Because the GM gave in to these demands we stagnated and as a result missed the playoffs. 

Luckily, the solution came quickly, one of the players decided to retire anyway even though they were given everything they requested. Most of us weren’t surprised by this. We then had a GM change, to a GM who I don’t think will take demands from players. Don’t get me wrong, I do expect that he will listen to players and take their opinions into consideration, I just don’t expect him to get pushed into things he doesn’t agree with. Which means that although the second individual who went about making demands is still around, still touting his mediocrity as the saving grace for London United he is being ignored. The GM is doing what he believes will in the long run make an effective team. Oddly enough the GM is doing his job. 

Enough about the failures of season 87, let’s look at the highlights. First and foremost, we started to have the prospects we have been building, take a major position on the team. Jesse Teno long touted goalie prospect suited up for the London United as the full-time starter and had a wonderful season. Continuing to grow throughout the season and the offseason means they are going to be a formidable presence in the league for years to come. I am calling it now, Jesse Teno will be one of the top goalies in the VHL as their career progresses. Write that name down, you will be putting it into your VHFL draft selection very soon. We also had the opportunity to connect with Season 88 call up Leonard Triller. Another high TPE earning prospect with a flair for graphics. Honestly, this is the best rookie in the VHL this season and will be walking away with the Rookie of the Year honors. We are excited to see how they integrate into London United. 

Secondly, we picked up a new GM, one that has a vision for the team and quickly went about making that happen. Free agency, trades, and drafting all put pieces in place to make season 88 competitive but also position London to shine as a top team in the league for seasons to come. London is going to become a place where players want to come and develop, to enjoy the locker room and have a fun time. 

Reality is we needed season 87, we needed to fail so that we could pick ourselves up stronger. We needed to lose dead weight and start the process of building a team that is both competitive and fun to be. I am looking forward to season 88 and beyond, go London. 

On 4/9/2023 at 9:49 AM, JCarson said:

the second individual who went about making demands is still around, still touting his mediocrity as the saving grace for London United

I feel called out here