Bears Off to Hot Start

CowboyinAmerica

:sea:

Seattle -- After last season's North American Conference finals loss, the Seattle Bears were determined to put the failure behind them and come out strong. But I doubt many in the locker room or front office expected quite this level of high play from the very beginning of the season.

The Seattle Bears started out the season with a 9-0-2 record, with 20 points in 11 games and a seven game winning streak. And even though the streak was recently broken with a loss to the Malmo Nighthawks, those 20 points still have Seattle with the best record in the league and 4 points clear of Chicago at second in the conference.

To team newcomer Xavier Booberry, it's a great start to his final season. "This is always what you envision in your head, but so often those dreams don't become reality," Booberry said. "But here, we're going out and doing exactly what our gameplan is. It's nice to see."

It's a mix of offense and defense that has gotten it done for Seattle so far. The team's 39 goals scored are the second-most in the VHL thus far, only behind a surprising Helsinki Titans start. Booberry, meanwhile, has a 7-0-2 record in 9 starts, a .933 save percentage and 2.18 GAA - all figures that top his previous two seasons in Davos.

And Booberry thinks the team can keep it going from here. "I think we're built to win it all, certainly. Now will we? There's so much that can happen in the VHL, especially in the playoffs. But I feel good that we've got just as good of a shot as anybody, and I think our play so far proves it."