Members Who I’ll Always Think Of Under Their Previous Username

There’s been a significant amount of users in the VHL and many of these users will have changed their name over the course of their VHL stint. For many, this stint under a different name will be so brief it’s easy enough to adapt to the new username (For example, I don’t think you’ll find many, if any, people calling Josh by his original username “Reives”) and there are others that were under their original username long enough that it takes a while to get used to their new name but you eventually get it (Prime example for me on this one was moving on from calling Will “Draper”), but there are some members that for whatever reason, the new name is just never what I come to first when I think of them, so for this Retro theme week, I’m going to look at the members that I can only ever think of under older names.

Scoop / Streetlight

So this is an interesting one as while most instances will be recalling to the name that I first knew them by, this is not the case with scoop as I’d predominantly known him under another username for about four or five years prior to joining the VHL, so surprisingly the first username I saw them use in the VHL during my time here, Streetlight, stuck relatively quickly. I think this could potentially be in part down to the fact that we did podcasts together while they were under the Streetlight name, so it made it easier to make the adjustment to that name. However, even after being their GM In the VHLE this last season, the name Streetlight will still always come to me before Scoop.

OrbitingDeath / Green

I think for this one, there are three reasons why the name Green will always come to me first before OrbitingDeath. One is that it was a nice snappy name, so it was quicker to say than their current name. Two is that I was their General Manager for a season while they were under the Green name with Thomas O’Malley, but I think the third reason is the most obvious one, which is when there is a player in the league that is as dominant as O’Malley was, it’s difficult to remember the user under a different name than the one they used in that moment.

Fire Fletcher / Flyersfan

For this one, I think part of the reason why I remember them as Flyersfan (or more commonly Flyers for short) is that I can never remember who is on the end of the username at any given point with the changes it has had as I was still looking for Fire Hakstol in my initial search for him. I didn’t have too many interactions with Flyersfan during his time under the name (he was never my GM and vice versa), but I think the most obvious reason why I’ll always remember them as Flyers is because that was the name they were using for the entirety of their commissioner spell and I think when you have a role that big, you’re always more likely to remember them under the name they used then as opposed to name changes that took place after leaving the job.

Honourable Mentions

Baozi / Tfong – Still 100% will refer to them as fong, but also I’ll need to give it more time as this name change was more recent than the others on the list.

Eaglesfan – Someone I was going to reference along with Flyersfan, but only just found out that they’ve gone back to using Eaglesfan, which is the name I always remembered them under.

Edited by MubbleFubbles