Steve Lattimer/Joe Kane April

pugsood

This is the April installment of our interview series with Steve Lattimer, forward in the VHL.  The Sun Gazzette is beginning a new monthly column that will cover the new playing career of Steve Lattimer, who has recently joined the VHL. Beat reporter Michael J. Smith will be sitting down with Lattimer every month in his hometown of Mooselookmeguntic, Maine. 

Smith: I mean, should we even talk about the VHL after all that's happened in the SBA?

Lattimer: We can talk about whatever you want, you're the one conducting the interview. I don't care.

Smith: Well how's VHL right now?

Lattimer: Seems good, my team is giving me more updates, I'm still clicking buttons and earning and deploying. Symbiotic relationship at least until I'm done.

Smith: Speaking of being done, so you're done with SBA?

Lattimer: I did state that, after Lattimer's SBA Hall of Fame eligibility is exhausted (assuming he does not make it into the Hall), that I will no longer participate in that league.

Smith: What does that mean for VHL?

Lattimer: I think it's safe to say my VHL days would be over as well. After all, I've only been here to claim the affiliate 2 TPE per month for SBA.

Smith: Even though you've enjoyed VHL?

Lattimer: Just don't see myself leaning in here, I like hockey (especially playoff hockey right now) but I wouldn't have the passion for it that this league deserves.

Smith:  And you don't think there's a chance Lattimer makes it to the hall?

Lattimer: I think there's a 1 percent chance. I think his candidacy won't be given a real discussion after all that's transpired, and unfortunately it requires too many voters to actually look beyond themselves and their narrow, biased ways of evaluating careers in order for him to have a shot. They're very contradictory but unfortunately there's no room for an intellectual discussion to be had. So no, there's little to no shot. Being excellent for 12 seasons at a level whose only contemporaries are existing hall of famers, you'd think there'd be a real conversation. There won't be, though. Oh well. 

Smith: And so you'll quit them, and us?

Lattimer: Yep. When it's not fun anymore, you quit. But ironically even though some people there want to insult me, I've actually looked out for league interests moreso than even league leadership itself. Ask my current GM. Could have burned him big time. Instead, I'm giving him at least 7 seasons to build a winner if he wants, with someone who's going to be at the top of the league earning for a 3rd consecutive player.

Smith: VHL league leadership is better than SBAs, come join us.

Lattimer: I don't doubt it, but I wouldn't give you the effort you all deserve.

This wraps up our next edition of our monthly column with Steve Lattimer, member of the VHL.