Theme Week: The One Day Retro

jacobcarson877

Since we are currently turning our focus to all things “VHL Retro” I wanted to add one more perspective to the idea. I’ve really enjoyed looking at all the great graphics and articles, and assume equally as interesting content from our podcasters. I thought about using this as an opportunity to practice some graphics again, but alas I simply do not have the time to create anything I’d moderately respect. I always try to do something for Theme Week that isn’t exactly what the point of the theme was, but kind of works. We’ve seen a ton of great content about retro history, and refamiliarized ourselves with a ton of old logos, players and teams, but this week I want to pretend we were doing this theme in 20 seasons, thus making the current era “retro”. Not many players can stand the test of time, and I want to put out some predictions as to who those players will be that we would look back at and remember in our modern retro-ified era.

The most obvious player that will stand the test of time in my opinion is Daniel Janser. It has been more of a surprise when they don’t win an individual award than when they do. Add in a Cup and consistently great statistical performances, and Janser should be an era defining, and time-enduring player.

The next player I think will survive the test of time is Nico Pearce. While not nearly as dominant of a player, Nico Pearce embodies the hybrid era perfectly. Being the first one to dominate with the new attributes, and putting up 90+ points nearly every season since, paired with the widespread positive presence that Spartan is around the forum, Pearce should be a name that we remember in 20+ seasons, particularly in reference to this era of the VHL.

Another name I expect to hear in 20 seasons is that of Art Vandelay. Of course Art Vandelay has been one of the better goaltenders in this era, but his name carries some more power than others. The mere mention of his name can often cause a string of superfans to chant his name. Art Vandelay is more than a player, but a brand, and message, a core concept.

A couple of players on the verge of breaking into this category are Ronan Lavelle and Landon Wolanin. Both following very similar career paths, both playing for very similarly talented squads, both always on the fringe of scoring awards and a constant game-breaking threat. Either one could prove in their last half of their careers that they are deserving of being remembered in the next few decades.

A final addition to the list is Bo Johansson. Depreciation will hit like a truck soon, but with how much everyone misses Shindigs these days, I can’t imagine that his legacy around here won’t last, even if his player may fizzle out by the end of it all. It is not always the bet players but the best people that make the most impact.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2023 at 2:01 AM, jacobcarson877 said:

The next player I think will survive the test of time is Nico Pearce. While not nearly as dominant of a player, Nico Pearce embodies the hybrid era perfectly. Being the first one to dominate with the new attributes, and putting up 90+ points nearly every season since, paired with the widespread positive presence that Spartan is around the forum, Pearce should be a name that we remember in 20+ seasons, particularly in reference to this era of the VHL.

not to forget that Nico also successfully avoided winning a Continental Cup when he was traded to Moscow in S86. Together with Moscow's four lost consecutive finals, this is certainly something, people may still talk about in 20 seasons' time.