Oven Finding His Game

Doomsday

Oven Finding His Game

A team Toronto forgot: The Mississauga Steelheads have lost money and  staff, but not hope - The Athletic

MISSISSAUGA - Playing for the Mississauga Hounds has turned out to be a great fit for Hungarian defenseman YaBoi Oven. For starters, he has learned to spell, "Mississauga," without having to use a spell checker. But on the ice, his game has really begun to develop and he does not have the appearance of a wide-eyed rookie.

"My biggest concern with coming to the VHLM was to not be an anchor," stated Oven after the Hounds' 4-0 victory over the Saskatoon Wild. "I did not want to be the guy that, by addition, made the team worse, and Mississauga was a team that was already playing very well. I set the bar high for myself, and I've been determined to help the team succeed however I can. Based on how happy the coaches are with me, I not only know that I'm not an anchor, I feel that I have made this team better on the back-end as well."

In 16 games with the Hounds, Oven has scored two goals and has eight assists for ten points, along with a plus/minus of +11. He has 38 hits and has blocked 22 shots, showing his willingness to step up and play the physical game that got him on the VHL's radar initially. YaBoi Oven is eligible to be selected in the Season 89 VHLM Dispersal Draft.

Jethro Novacek is a writer for the MSFL Times, the premium purveyor of simulation sports stories. He enjoys throwing people into the water, the feeling of a cool breeze on a warm spring day, and the neverending antics of Peeves.