A tale of two Brothers // Season summary

Daniel Janser

Bild

Graphic courtesy of Leandrofg

(Marcel's stats/Daniel's stats)

The regular season is over for our two intrepid heroes, and both Jansers have still some hockey to play. Dan and his Wranglers have directly qualified for the playoffs and enjoy a couple of free days. London with Marcel onboard have to fight for their post-season spot against the Riga Reign where it is 1-1 in the series.

Our newspaper (SCG) had a teams interview with the two Rotkreuz natives and asked them about their views on their teams chances for the Continental Cup.

SCG: 'Hi Marcel, hi Daniel. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us.'

DJ: 'Thanks for having us.'

SCG: 'Marcel, London has occupied a playoff spot for most of your stint with them. Now your team has to fight for the participation in the post-season. What happened?'

MJ: 'Well, since I joined the league, the European conference has always been more balanced and the NA conference has had one to two bottomfeeder teams and the others competing for the playoffs. If you add the fact, that we lost too many games at the backend of the season, you could even fall out of contention on the last match day. We need to bring our A-game to the series against Riga, to finally get the monkey off of our backs to win the first playoff series for the franchise, though I am not sure whether the WC games count as such.'

SCG: 'Daniel, the Calgary Wranglers showed a streaky season and you had a significant drop in production. What do you think are the reasons for that?'

DJ: 'I am getting old to start with. But this is too easy of an explanation to satisfy me. We lost Marcel from our cup winning team and due to cap restrictions were not able to replace his defensive prowess. Hence, we had to make up for this loss in the aggregate, which hampered our production to a certain extent. But we made the playoffs and that is all that counts.'

SCG: 'So do you think you can repeat last season's success?'

DJ: 'We will certainly have to fight for it. Alas, some pundits see us in the finals, and that is certainly our ambitions. We are not here to fuck spiders after all.'

SCG: 'Marcel, do you believe in a brother duel in the finals?'

MJ: 'I think it is too early for that. We first have to qualify for the playoffs and take one game at the time. It would be epic to make it into the final in the first season we win a playoff series, though.'

SCG: 'Daniel, the World Cup is around the corner. If you were called up for Europe, would you heed the call to arms?'

DJ: 'Of course. It is always an honour to represent Europe in any international tournament. And I do not take it as a given to be nominated. There are so many talented and younger players out there, that I am always humbled if I get selected. If the coach thinks that I can add value to the team, I will be ready to dress for Europe once more and try to defend the title.'

SCG: 'Marcel, experts told you early on in your career, that your lack of offensive play and your rather eccentric skating style will be detrimental to a successful career in professional hockey. Now, in the autumn of your career, what do you wish to tell these experts?'

MJ: 'I do not carry any grief with these experts. They are human and will err in their assessment occasionally. I wish though, they would still encourage players to pursue their dreams. And they were only partially wrong with their statement. Yes, I made it to the big league and I won a continental cup which puts me in a very privileged group of hockey players in the world. Alas, if I was more gifted with the puck, I could have been more of an impact in the teams I played in and maybe been nominated to WJC/WC tournaments. In the end I showed that with the right attitude and determination, one can be successful despite limited talent.'

SCG: 'Okay, gentlemen, these were all the questions we had and we wish you best of luck.'

MJ/DJ: 'Thanks.'

Here are the final regular season stats for the brothers:

Marcel: 74gp, 2g, 22a, 24pts, +4, 70 PIM, 87 hits, 119sb, 1gwg, 1 First Star Nomination

Daniel: 72gp, 37g, 56a, 93pts, +17, 60 PIM, 142 hits, 52sb, 5gwg, 10ppg, 58.32FO%, 7 First Star Nominations

We will revert with news on the Jansers' progress as soon as same reach us.

https://vhlforum.com/topic/135358-a-tale-of-two-brothers-the-hurt-does-go-on/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/135399-a-tale-of-two-brothers-some-select-games/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/135762-a-tale-of-two-brothers-the-7-year-glitch/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/135822-a-tale-of-two-brothers-londons-calling/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/135957-vsn-presents-s88-vhl-playoff-preview/