My Turn Towards Apathy about the VHLM

nurx

Over the last season especially I have slowly become incredibly apathetic about not just the Miami Marauders, but the VHLM just as a whole. I don't know exactly where this grew from, but I am going to share some of the things that have grown to cause that and what could possibly have fixed the issue.

I'm going, to be honest with you I looked at the standings maybe once a week this season and didn't even know if it was possible for Miami to make playoffs or who we would play in the first round if we did. This is coming off of a multiple-season stretch where I was running a spreadsheet that kept track of every team's winning and losing numbers. I had a very good defenseman in the league and I had multiple double-digit SB games, but I never got excited about them as I would have with Chiang. Is it possible that I am not as attached to Pope Francis as I was attached to Chiang yet? Yes, but I think the main problem is how distant other teams can seem in the VHLM. This brings up my first minor wish for the league which is a better centralized chat area. Whether that is simply making it so people are pushed into chatting in the VHLM discord channel more or an actual forum thread every season where people are asked and pushed into talking about what is going on during the season, their takes on who is overperforming, or even just what they wish to see in the future in the league. I think a great place for this would just be a thread right where the sims are happening. I believe that when teams don't have as active of a locker room as other teams it really hurts teams more than most people realize. It becomes harder to get players excited to be a part of a team and even excited about how the team is doing. I experienced this in both locker rooms I really cared about which were Miami and Halifax. I don't think this is a mistake from the GM as much as it is just a fault of how teams end up. I do really believe that if people were out and just simply talking to other people in the league it would allow both some light banter and people to actually get to know people that aren't on your team. (This is a problem I have talked about at length in my VSN article about the transition to the E and how hard it can be)

Secondly, I simply had an awful draft. I drafted 3 players in the first round. One of them got moved up to the E the day before sims (then didn't play in the E due to a failure of communication between the leagues) and the other two simply went IA. This really fucked my draft and pushed me really toward my ultimate decision to step down from the M. It is simply really hard to get excited about your job when stuff out of your control destroys your entire season. Then I went on to get a total of 2 waiver signings all season. I had one active person in the locker room all season and I had so much apathy towards the league that I didn't even really care. The reality is that it is very easy for a season to get fucked over in the M and that even further leads to the strengthening of the first problem. I don't know if there is a realistic solution to allow waivers to be more evenly spread out or if that would even be a good thing, but I am happy that I no longer even have to deal with it because it was one of the few things in this league that I truly hate.

Anyways this was a short informational about the things that caused my apathy about the VHLM and why Pope Francis has continuously gotten worse at updating. I believe now that I don't feel pressured by the M to actually do things I likely will be more active in the league paradoxically, but I think the majority of my activity will be involved with the VSN. 

Words: 600+