Marlins Fall to Mexico City

Fradin99

Game six of the founder's cup semi finals ended in a 4-2 victory for the Mexico City Kings to clinch the series and secure their spot in the finals. San Diego, a team of mostly if not entirely free agents that they slowly gained throughout the season had almost convinced the hockey world that the ragtag  group of players could secure a cup without most of the roster playing even a full season. Players like Shubham Anand, Baby Moo Moo, and Fradin McGryer had made the strongest cases for their team throughout these playoff series. 

Shubham Anand or "Scuba" as his teammates endear him had an offensive explosion in the post season. Picked up in the first week of the regular season, the India native had seven goals and five assists in just ten playoff games. With twelve points in the post season, this high speed forward will definitely be on the radar for teams in the coming draft and will absolutely be a steal for anyone looking for a high poise player come the same time next season. 

The English winger Baby Moo Moo entered the league halfway through the Marlin's regular season and quickly introduced herself to the league as an electric playmaker. Showing high chemistry with Marlin's Captain Sjin and fantastic defensive responsibility, She became a staple for San Diego's top line alongside Shubham and Sjin. In ten playoff games the winger had five goals and ten assists for fifteen total points. With her still being a developing player who hasn't completed a full season yet, it is likely she will play another season in the VHLM and certainly will be a great compliment to any team looking to give their team that extra push towards the cup. 

Fradin McGryer was thought to be a purely defensive defenseman coming into the post season. The Marlin's Alternate Captain was added to the team just days before the start of the regular season and made himself clear to be a physical presence teams had a hard time getting around. This was no different in the playoffs. The young defenseman had thirty-four hits and fourteen blocked shots in his ten playoff games. A point per game player in the post season, acquiring two goals and eight assists, also showed heightened responsibility in reducing his time in the box at ten penalty minutes total. The six-four Boston native intends on playing in the VHLE next season, and stayed after the game to offer a statement to the media. 

"It's rough you know? Losing, losing at home in such an important game to us and the fans. I'm not going to nitpick at our game because I thought we played our style out there every night and gave the other guys our best. I think that's just a testament to how strong the competition is down here in the M and just how talented that Kings team is. They have a fantastic core put together and I'd especially like to highlight Alex (DeLuca) out there. He was the model of a two way defenseman out there and I genuinely hope to see him lift that cup because him and his team battled hard and certainly earned it in my eyes. Next season's going to be interesting for sure. I'll be taking this offseason to help my teammates get a handle on their plans for the future of their careers and being a team of mostly free agents, it's unlikely most of us will play together again. Gaut's (Olivier Gauthier) going to be the toughest change for me for sure. I wish him the best in the big show next season, he's a beauty to have in the locker room and undeniably talented on the ice. I'd like to take this time to thank the Marlin's organization for taking the chance on me. To thank my teammates for putting everything they had out there and working day in and day out with me. And especially would like to thank the fans of San Diego for coming out and supporting us every step of the way."

The Marlins organization now must move on to focusing on the draft. With their pair of first round draft picks they certainly have the potential to bring some of the core back and still be a competitive team next season. With Brad Marchand and Sjin planning to stick around in San Diego, their goal scoring will still be as steady as this season. Big questions will circle them around goaltending and defense with the departure of all the defensive core and their goaltender Olivier Gauthier, the Marlins may end up making some unorthodox picks high in the draft to cover their bases. 

784 words for week ending in 5/21/23