Oven Relishing WJC Opportunity

Doomsday

Oven Relishing WJC Opportunity

Sparking consistent local interest in hockey key part of Japan's Winter  Olympic future | The Japan Times

BEIJING, CHINA - When YaBoi Oven did not get the call for Team Europe, as he fully anticipated, he figured that was that, and he would be back in Season 89 for the World Junior Championship. However, with Team Asia short on eligible players, Kris Rice instead tapped the Hungarian to fill in on the roster and gave him that extra chance at facing top competition after all. It has been tough sledding for Team Asia, who has gone 0-6-1 in their first seven games, but that hasn't deterred the young blue liner in the slightest.

"Getting to play against competition like this will prove to be very important," said Oven following a 3-1 defeat to the 7-0 Team USA. "I gotta admit I'm not used to losing like this all the time, but winning isn't just handed to you, you've got to work for it. We aren't playing against pushovers here, every single player taking the ice is virtually a future professional player. If you can't cut it here now, what chance will you have later on?"

Despite sporting a -5 rating, Oven has shown to be a dogged defender even against more experienced players. In seven games, he has blocked 19 shots, recorded 12 hits, and is averaging over 26 minutes played per game. He has also added two goals, one on the power play, and two assists to give Oven four points in the tournament thus far. However, he is tied for the tournament lead in a less-desired stat, with Oven and teammate Big B both having served twenty penalty minutes each, double that of the next closest players.

"That has definitely been an issue," admitted Oven. "Seems like I can't get away with as much at this tournament, but this is a lesson I would rather have right here, right now, than in the VHL. That's the type of opportunity that has been given to me by Mr. Rice for adding me to Team Asia, and I'm going to get everything out of this experience that I can."

Jethro Novacek is a writer for the MSFL Times, the premium purveyor of simulation sports news. He enjoys the goodness that is Wawa, the comfort of a warm shower, and being somewhere beyond the sea.