Recreation, and The Next Chapter

jacobcarson877

So I’m getting to the point now that I’ve seen nearly everyone (re)create at this point, and we are coming on the last class before my own recreation. Well maybe? I’m considering delaying my recreation for a season to recreate with my dad, and beat him in fair battle. I’m really leaning towards running another goaltender, but I’d concede for a D or C if that’s what the Marlins need on waivers at the time. If I’m making a goalie, the build is pretty simple. If I’m running a D, I want to model my style off of Pierre Emile Bouchard, try to min max that style that did so well in the awards in S87, maybe take some inspiration from what Bo Johansson was building towards. If I run a C, I want to be the king of possession. I have a lot of research I want to do on giveaways and takeaways, as well as manipulating the possession numbers that we can see in the index. This would take some of what I’ve done with Landon Wolanin already, and probably take some inspiration from The Board Game Clue On Skates. Sort of a Lady Byng/Selke perennial contender is the goal.

One of the really cool things about being a VHL GM is getting to know how other GMs run their teams, and why some organizations work, and others don’t. It isn’t necessarily the GM or their style that is an issue, it is who they target to bring into their fold to be affected by their style. Ricer has been absolutely perfect for the team we have in Calgary, but I’m very curious to start putting together an idea of who else would be a great fit for me as a member, not just as a player. I Imagine there will be a little more hype around my player next time around given my prolific earning and presumably decent public image, so I wouldn’t want to rope myself into one idea of how my career should go. I do love that my career has been with one organization so far, and by no means would I hold Ricer to keeping my player until retirement, he has an organization to maintain value in, but it has meant a lot to have been invested into as much as I’ve invested into it. Would it be kind of fun to hit free agency next player? Probably would, I’ve never really gotten to do that, but I imagine it could get me a couple more Media Spots worth of content! I wasn’t exactly in the midst of a rebuild in Calgary, but I was at the tail end of the rebuild and that alone, with the hype of coming in and dominating from the start was really fun. I’d also love to join a team at the bottom and force of will bring them to the top.

I may as well take the time to copy Gustav and say that I’m working on (convincing my brain to start) some fun Data projects! I still have a lot of questions about player builds that only a larger body of testing can answer. It’ll involve doing some generic test sims (not VHL directly, mostly because I care about the fundamentals not the niche case) similar to what the league must have been up to leading into the hybrid era, to try to uncover some trends and bring to light some of the lesser known elements of STHS. I also want to work on some scraping and such to try to generate some more stats and maybe some more interestingly formatted commentary. I’ll be working on my professional portfolio in the next year or so, so whether these get directly used or are simply practice it’ll at least be useful experience.

1 hour ago, jacobcarson877 said:

I may as well take the time to copy Gustav and say that I’m working on (convincing my brain to start) some fun Data projects! I still have a lot of questions about player builds that only a larger body of testing can answer. It’ll involve doing some generic test sims (not VHL directly, mostly because I care about the fundamentals not the niche case) similar to what the league must have been up to leading into the hybrid era, to try to uncover some trends and bring to light some of the lesser known elements of STHS. I also want to work on some scraping and such to try to generate some more stats and maybe some more interestingly formatted commentary. I’ll be working on my professional portfolio in the next year or so, so whether these get directly used or are simply practice it’ll at least be useful experience.

If there's anything you might want to collaborate on/get bodies to help with, hit me up. I don't have much data analysis skills outside anything you can do in Excel/Sheets with some R/SQL, but it'd be nice to learn if you are doing something more script heavy outside one of those mediums.