Boga Discusses Contract Situation

Bojovnik

The Seattle Bears could be about to enter a transition period. At the end of the current season, franchise center Hulk Hogan 2 is set to hang up his skates, bringing his storied career to a close. Tavish DeGroot, a prominent veteran presence on the team’s forward lines, has also his announced his retirement at the end of S89.

Earlier this season, the Bears announced the re-signing of Randy Bobandy through S92, solidifying the young forward’s position at the heart of Seattle’s core for many years to come. Young defenceman Elias Lampi, who is enjoying a breakout season, is also signed through S90.

But as S89 rolls on, and the Bears still sit on top of the North American Conference, there’s one question on everyone’s lips… What about Yaroslav Bogatyrev?

The second overall pick in the S86 draft signed a standard three-year rookie contract with the Seattle Bears immediately after being drafted. He then put pen to paper on a one-year extension, taking him through the current season.

There’s still been no confirmation on Bogatyrev signing a new contract, although sources close to the Seattle Bears organization have confirmed that a deal was presented to the Russian forward’s agent earlier this season. Unconfirmed reports suggest that only a one-year deal is on the table, upon request from Bogatyrev’s side.

The trade deadline is just around the corner, and the Bears could be inclined to move their star forward if they are unable to get him to commit to a long-term deal. There would, of course, be the option of moving Bogatyrev upon the conclusion of the season, but the Bears would only expect to get pennies on the dollar for trading his rights.

Bogatyrev has often refused to comment on his contract status, and his agent could not be reached for comment. However, upon the Bears recent 2-0 loss to the Malmo Nighthawks, the Russian forward surprised many by discussing the matter during a post-game media scrum.

“I don’t know how much longer I’ve got left here in Seattle. Do I feel like there is unfinished business, considering how last season ended – sure? Do I feel like Seattle is, at the moment, in a position to contend for a Continental Cup? I think so, although losses like tonight really make me feel that we’re still too naïve, and still don’t have what it takes to lift a championship. We’ve still got a lot of work to do,” Bogatyrev said.

When pressed by a reporter as to where he could imagine himself playing if not in Seattle, Bogatyrev also provided some clues as to his potential plans.

“I said it before I was drafted, and I will continue to say it: I loved playing in Europe with the Cologne Express several seasons back, and getting the chance to play in Europe, where my friends and family would be closer, is something that I’ve always dreamed about. I’m on the complete opposite side of the world to my home right now, it’s tough,” he said.