Theme Week : Comish for a Day

hockeyis66

For this season's theme week, I came up with 3 ideas that I would like to implement for my commissioner for a day:

1 – VHL Relocation of North American conference teams from NHL cities to non-NHL markets

Its time to give the non-NHL traditional markets some love, so one of the first things I would do as commish for the day is to move the 8 North American franchises to different markets.  Also keeping in mind regional travel and hopefully setting up rivals as well based on location.

Getting promoted from the VHLM would be:

San Diego, Houston and Saskatoon

These 3 are already Mid-Western to Western on the map, so I would add one more west coast franchise in Portland, Oregon.  Now this leaves me with the opportunity to pick all 4 east coast teams from scratch – adding 2 Canadian teams within relative distance to each other is pretty easy in Hamilton and Quebec City and would leave the new VHL with 3 Canadian teams out of 8.  The 7th team to add is a pretty easy one and its time to bring back the Whalers to the city of Hartford.  There are lot of great choices for the 8th and final team and while I could start to look to go a little toward the Midwest, I am going to keep that east coast feel and give the final relocation to the city of Baltimore.

VHL North American Conference would be:

Baltimore

Hartford

Hamilton

Quebec

Houston

Portland

San Diego

Saskatoon

2 – Relocation and addition of 2 more franchises to the VHLM

With the VHLM losing 3 franchises to the VHL, this will leave openings that will need to be filled and lets make the league 12 teams now with 6 franchises in each division instead of 10 cause I like 12 teams in that league and it will help support #3 down below.  Keeping to the same idea as the VHL in that no NHL cities and an east of the Mississippi and west of the Mississippi divisions.

In the Western Division, Mexico City is the only one that would stay.  I would add a desert / southwestern team in Albuquerque and a midwestern team in Kansas City especially so players can enjoy the wonderful BBQ there if for nothing else.  This gives 3 teams that are relatively close wise and then I would start to move more north and place a team in Salt Lake City.  Rounding out the 6 team Western Division would be two Canadian cities in Regina and Kelowna. 

In the Eastern Division, Mississauga and Halifax would be the lone 2 franchises staying, leaving 4 open spots.  I like the close idea of having Thunder Bay, Milwaukee (free beer at games?) and Indianapolis together in a mid-western feel to the league which then leaves one spot left.  I cant do Cleveland here, just cant.  Which leaves me down to Cincinnati v Charlotte as I just cant go into the deeper Southern US here either.  I like how Cincy is closer to the other cities than Charlotte but Charlotte is at least getting a foot print into a decent market into the South and not having as many teams in the Midwest.  It comes down to a coin toss….and Charlotte (nicknamed the Flair’s?) will be the 6th and final team in the new VHLM.

3 – Addition of a second player for some users

One of the fascinating aspects of a sim league is the opportunity to have a second player and to be able to tinker with a different player build that you normally would not have the chance or tried to do with your normal player.

Having a second player would only be available to those users who have had at least 2 players reach over 1000 tpe as a reward for their loyalty and longevity in the league.  The second player would not be allowed to have carryover, play on the same team as their other player or take advantage of special tpe giveaways to keep the second player’s tpe totals lower than the first player’s. 

Users would not have to do double tasks as the tasks could be assigned to both players except for the career type of tasks which would have to be done separately. 

This will also help aid in the expansion of the VHLM and hopefully get rid of some of the bot players as well and encourage more users to stick around and hit this tpe mark.  Maybe a user has been shy about becoming a goalie or being more of a defensive type of player whether it be a forward or defensemen and this opportunity would allow for that while still being able to enjoy the build and performance of the user’s main player.  Hopefully this would also allow the types of builds to become more diversified as well too allowing other users to follow in the footsteps of more veteran users with a different type of player and TPE placement to follow along to.