a tale of two Brothers // A shocking announcement

Daniel Janser

Bild

Graphic courtesy of Leandrofg

(Marcel's stats/Daniel's stats)

Since last we reported from our intrepid heroes, the season was still young and the prospects for a post-season campaign looked bright for the Janser brothers. And while the chances are still intact for Prague and Calgary respectively, both franchises showed streaky performances and struggled to get more than two wins in a row.

Calgary shows a 28-19-3 record and is trailing Vancouver and Seattle by seven and nine points respectively.

Prague looks even bleaker being at fourth (albeit tied with Riga at three), with a 16 and 22 points deficit to Moscow and league-leading Davos respectively.

However, the biggest news reached us on a press conference held in the holy halls of the Saddledome. The Wrangler management invited the crème de la crème of Calgary's and the international press for a rendez-vous, with no explanation of the reason why. The assembled press was there way before the stipulated time as only the most important of news would possible demand such an array of news outlets. The room was abuzz with rumours. Has the Calgary franchise been sold to the city of Québec? The French-speaking metropole has demanded a place at the sun since the Wolves have been moved a continent away. Is GM Ricer being relieved of his duties as the most recent results were not to the liking of the owners? Did Calgary make a splash in the trade market and acquired a franchise goalie as they did before the cup winning S87 season?

When the Wranglers' brass entered the podium, the room went silent. Kris Rice stepped up to the microphone and welcomed the press to the conference.

'The management was informed of a very important decision, effective on the end of the season and we wanted to give the concerned member of our organization the opportunity to break the news personally to you. Daniel, would you please step up to the podium.'

The Captain stood up, with a troubled expression on his face, holding a piece of paper in his hands, apparently he has prepared for this moment. He takes a deep breath and steels himself before he starts speaking.

'Dear friends and members of the press. I was a young winger, dressing for the Philadelphia Reapers, when the Wranglers named me as their first pick, eighth overall in the S81 draft. I was overjoyed to be chosen by such an esteemed franchise. One of the Original Eight. A franchise where a Swiss player by the name of Scott Boulet has left a mark. What better place to start an adventure in the VHL then in an organization which raised the jersey of my fellow countryman to the rafters. I was sceptical, whether I was worth the pick spent on me, but committed myself to be the best possible version of me, to justify the trust put into this young, unknown Swiss boy. It took some time to develop into a useful player on that level and it is all thanks to the people in the Calgary franchise that I am, where I am now. The fans, the team mates and last but not certainly not least Ricer believed in me, showed patience and understanding when I needed it. I gave back as good as I could and never wanted to play for a different club. Now, years later and after some succesful years, individually and as a team, I feel that I cannot contribute on the level that the Wranglers and their fanbase deserve. Father Time has caught up with me and it is with a heavy heart that I announce my retirement, effective by the end of the season. I wish to express my thanks to all my team mates past and present, the fans, the Wranglers franchise for these past years, they were good ones and I would not want to miss them for the world. And a special thanks to my family for their patience and understanding of me being a hockey player with all the sorrows which come with it. It is my turn to pay them back in equal coin. Thank you.'

Janser is obviously moved and steps away from the podium. It is apparent that he is not in a mood to answer any questions at this point in time. The assembled press does collectively not pry for more information, but one by one the stand up and applaud the old great man of Swiss hockey and give him a standing ovation.

We will return with more news as soon as possible.

https://vhlforum.com/topic/137307-a-tale-of-two-brothers-slow-but-steady/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/137491-a-tale-of-two-brothers-34th-of-a-season-left/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/137578-is-he-selfish/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/137631-a-tale-of-two-brothers-the-leandro-defence/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/137720-a-tale-of-two-brothers-almost-half-time-22/

Spoiler

Edited by Daniel Janser

Article Review:  Like usual the quality of the articles put out regarding the Janser Brothers are fantastic.  The depth of story telling, the realness of the emotion all add to the fantastic careers that these two have had.  How the story will progress, if we will have new players to follow.  We will need to wait and see. It will be interesting to see where things go.  Congratulations on a fantastic, Hall of Fame worthy career.  Good luck on the remainder of the season.  

I give this article a 10/10, not sure there would be any way of improving this article.