Moth Eaten Soul

McWolf

(I swear it's a coincidence that this is the song playing as I post this)

The upbringing of Sunset Moth is not currently known, but if you ask people close to her, they all have various theories as to where she is from and what she actually is behind her human appearance. Since Moth herself doesn't seem like she's inclined to help us decipher her past, let's just go over these farfetched theories. Maybe one of these is the actual truth.

« The Moth buds just appeared out of thin air on the Isle of Man. Most people here were born here, their families have been around for generations. No one just moves here to pursue a hockey career. That's the most fucked up thing I've ever heard, but no one has seen Sunset or Spanish Moon before they joined our local hockey team. I think they're actually from here, but maybe they lived secluded in a village no one has heard from, or maybe they're from an old tribe down in the wild. I never asked them, they creep me out. They play good hockey though, good luck to them. »

- a former teammate from the Isle of Man HC

« The media just can't get over it uh? There's nothing wrong with the Moths. I tell you, they're just two of the weirdest people I've ever met, but there's nothing supernatural or crazy about them. They're just creepy weirdos. They stayed home too long, they haven't talked to anyone for a whole decade, all they did was collect stamps or bugs or whatever it is creeps collect. And now they believe they're actual moths. That's what isolation does to you. That's what they want us to all become. QUARANTINE IS A HOAX. DON'T GET VACCINATED [...] »

- I'm not even sure who this guy is, but we cut him off before he got too political

« bzzz bzzz bzzz »

- an actual moth

« If you slow down footage of Sunset Moth skating, you'll notice the blades of her skates never actually touch the ice. It's like she's flying or floating or something. And I mean, her whole demeanor barely seems human. We interviewed her, she answered every single question we asked in mono-syllables and kept looking at the lights around the room. She might just be a moth, or multiple moths, wearing a human disguise. We've interviewed a grizzly last month, and it was the same thing, except it eventually tore through his human costume and hate one of my scouts. Good thing we always have a tranquilizer dart ready for these situations in the interview rooms. Might as well have moths too, now. »

- a scout for the Las Vegas Aces

« The Moths are amazing physical specimens, aren't they? They're the tiniest things, but they play like they're double their actual weight. Part of me believes they're not human. I know it sounds crazy, but the VHLM has seen worse right? We've had robots, aliens. The Halifax 21st is virtually a front for a satanic cult. A lab experiment gone wrong creating human-moth hybrids with deceptive strength just seems in line with what's going on all around. You've seen The Fly, right? I'm not saying they're like that, but that wouldn't even be the weirdest thing I've heard about this week. »

- the Mississauga Hounds trainer

The only things we have at this point are rumours and speculations. So let's not focus on the past of the Isle of Man-representative too much and let's just appreciate Sunset Moon for what we do know, and that's the fact that she's a very promising pass-first, defensive defenseman who decided to start her VHLM career in Mississauga of all places. Maybe she'll open up about her origins as her career unfolds, but she'd have to learn to speak correctly first.

Or maybe she never will. And it might be better this way, no? What would it give VHL executives, players or fans to know more about her past? Sometimes, knowing less, or nothing at all is just more interesting. It cultivates the mystery that makes the Moth pals interesting in the first place. Are they siblings, are they friends, are they supernatural beings? Are they from the Isle of Man, are they from elsewhere and moved there, are they from another planet,.or another plane of existence? 

What if they are just two regular human beings, who are naturally shy, soft-spoken? Two regular people who just don't like having media or interviewers in their face asking them where they're from and all types of personal questions. Two boring, uncomfortable, awkward people with nothing exciting going on in their life except from their hockey skills. That wouldn't make such an interesting storyline, right? So let's just leave the mystery as it is. As long as we don't have any confirmation from either of them, we're free to believe whatever we want. We're free to believe they're human-sized moths, multiple moths, human-moth hybrids, moth collectors, whatever rocks your boat, and whatever keeps you interested in them as highly talented VHL prospects.