Special Interview with Steve Lattimer

pugsood

We have a special edition of the interview series with Steve Lattimer, forward in the Victory Hockey League. The Sun Gazzette is doing a special sit down with the enigmatic forward to not only celebrate the league's birthday but also given Lattimer has achieved over 400 TPE for his career and is set to graduate from the ranks of the VHLE.

Beat reporter Michael J. Smith is sitting down with Lattimer in his hometown of Mooselookmeguntic, Maine. 

Smith: What do you think about VHL's birthday?

Lattimer: I think it's tremendous. Shows that the league has staying power. Shows that enough people like hockey for this league to have renewed interest over this period of time. May hat is off to the league leadership. So much better than any other league I've seen.

Smith: Is that a dig at the SBA?

Lattimer: It's not a dig, it's just a fact from where I sit. For someone who doesn't lean into VHL, it's amazing how great of a partnership I've had with folks in this league and again, that's just a nod to league leadership and the caliber of folks who are part of the clubs here.

Smith: Do you do anything for your birthday?

Lattimer: I don't like to make a big deal about my birthday at all other than maybe treating myself or getting treated to a nice meal or  some good craft beers. I don't like to be the center of attention.

Smith: How does it feel to have hit a threshold like 400 TPE and readying for the next chapter of your VHL playing career?

Lattimer: Admittedly I didn't even know about the threshold until I got some weird notification that I had to start banking. One of my coaches messaged me and let me know what was going on. I felt proud that I was able to be of service to many teammates and coaches throughout my career thus far and that I've showed up for them when perhaps people would have least expected it. Just goes to show you what great coaches and general managers can do for a young player like myself and what a great partnership can look like. I imagine lots of GMs and coaches in lots of leagues could learn from these guys I've had the pleasure of working with.

Smith: You're going to close out your career soon with Lattimer in the SBA though, right?
Lattimer: I am. It's been well documented when that will happen.

Smith: So your time here will come to a close, in the VHL, won't it?
Lattimer: Presumably, yes. But given my partnership with Janser, Ricer and folks, if they want me to do what I've been doing for them, I'd likely be amenable to continuing with those things until Lattimer's VHL career expires, so to speak.

Smith: That seems like a change of tune for you.
Lattimer: Maybe it is ,but I've now gotten a flavor for what's expected of me, how to perform those things efficiently and expediently, and hell, I like doing good things for good people so if it helps them, it's hardly a minor inconvenience for me so long as they're pointing me in the right direction.

Smith: Do you think anyone in the SBA is going to miss you?
Lattimer: I can't imagine anyone will. Especially if I award my player to someone who can still grow him, so someone's going to get a max guy.