Çitting On the Bench

Gustav

I've noticed that it's become cool to put music in your .com articles lately, which is a really fun thing to do when I DID IT YEARS AGO AND NONE OF YOU CARED.

I jest. Check out a band I just found today! Altin Gün is from the Netherlands, sings in Turkish, and while I can't understand a word (I tried to look it up and I don't actually know but it looks like this is a cover and there's a nonzero chance it's about weed), that doesn't really bother me. As a nerd, I've been nerding out over how clean they've managed to make the bass tone on this album, as well as how chill-but-still-groovy it is. 

Anyway, even though I don't intend to claim this and I'm just writing it because I'm bored, I suppose I have to make it somewhat VHL-related or I will be cyberbullied by a rogue updater. After being nominated for MVP the past two seasons for reasons entirely unclear to me, this season I apparently suck for equally unclear reasons. I knew that I was a little bit off from the general impression I'd built up by looking at sim results, but this was the first time I ever tried to compare myself to the field.

What I saw was DEEPLY DISTURBING to an upstanding individual such as myself. All my hard work rewarded with what exactly--1050+ TPA after my first depreciation (and no, I'm not playing in the E even if you make your stupid depreciation system encourage it) and a near-bottom-of-the-league SV%? Simply unbelievable, I tell you. It's like I was dealing with my first player all over again. But that's the sad reality of being a goaler in the VHL and having no real control over your performance. There's no "being the best with the most TPE" because the majority of teams have someone who qualifies as "the most TPE" and that's not something that makes you stand out--and even if it did, that doesn't matter because every now and then someone with 700-ish  (or your own bot backup) will show up and beat you in every category. But that doesn't really matter because I'm enjoying the time I've spent in the VHL this season anyway.

I think it just drives home the point of how little it's possible to care about how you or your team is doing and how much it's possible to sit back and enjoy things as they are. I started writing this long before I got to this point, but even now I'm trying to set the mind of a GM or two at ease over their team's competitive status.

As long as you're enjoying things, and making them enjoyable for those around you, I don't care how you do--so why should you?

Edited by Gustav