Bryce Woodworth Post Season Interview

SirRupertBarnes

Welcome to this week’s interview with Houston Bulls player Bryce Woodworth. I’m your host Alec Volchenkov. Today we’ll be discussing with Bryce his recent experience in Houston along with his plans for the upcoming draft and off-season.

Alec Volchenkov: Welcome, Bryce Woodworth! It's a pleasure to have you here. First of all, I’d like to just talk about the elephant in the room. The disappointing first-round loss to the Ottawa Lynx in the playoffs. Can you share your thoughts on the series?

Bryce Woodworth: Thank you. It's certainly a tough pill to swallow. We had high hopes going into the playoffs, but the Ottawa Lynx played exceptionally well. They capitalized on our mistakes, and we struggled to find our momentum throughout the series. It's disappointing, but we'll all use this experience as motivation to grow and continue to improve our games.

Alec Volchenkov: Losing in the playoffs is always difficult, especially in the first round. Are there any specific areas you feel the team could have improved upon?

Bryce Woodworth: Absolutely. In hindsight, we could have been more disciplined on the ice and avoided taking so many unnecessary penalties. Special teams is such a crucial factor in close games, and we really needed to execute  our game plan much better in those situations. Overall, we needed to be way more consistent and assertive in our systems. These are things we'll address as individuals in the off-season though as we definitely won’t be the same group as most of us will be moving up to the VHLE and the rest of us being sent to the upcoming VHLM draft.

Alec Volchenkov: Learning from failures is the best way to grow and improve in every aspect. Changing gears here a little bit, could you share with us how you've been gearing up for the draft?

Bryce Woodworth: The Draft is undoubtedly a crucial milestone in my hockey journey, and I've been preparing for it extensively. Ever since I started playing hockey, my dream has been to make it to the VHLM and eventually the VHL.

Alec Volchenkov: That's commendable, Bryce! Can you tell us about the specific aspects of your game that you've been working on to impress the scouts?

Bryce Woodworth: Absolutely! Skating is the foundation of hockey, so I've been working on my speed and agility to outmaneuver opponents effectively. Additionally, I've been focusing on my shooting to be a more potent offensive threat. 

Defense is equally crucial, so I've been practicing my positioning, stick-checking, and reading the play better to become a more reliable two-way player. Ultimately, I want to demonstrate to scouts that I can contribute to the team's success in multiple ways.

Alec Volchenkov: It sounds like you're really trying to improve your game and even your draft stock, Bryce! Besides the on-ice skills, what other elements have you been working on during this process?

Bryce Woodworth: Hockey is not just a physical game; it's a mental one too. So, alongside my on-ice training, I've been focusing on developing mental toughness. I've been working with sports psychologists to build resilience, stay focused under pressure, and visualize success on the ice. A strong mental game can make all the difference in tight situations. After a bit of a disappointing end to such a promising playoff run with Houston I want to learn from that and try to be a more clutch player in those high pressure games.

Alec Volchenkov: That's a wise approach, Bryce. A well-rounded player is what every team desires. As the VHLM Draft draws nearer, how are you managing the pressure and nerves associated with such a significant event?

Bryce Woodworth: The pressure is definitely there, but I try not to let it overwhelm me. I just have to keep reminding myself that this is just another step in my journey. Having a strong support system of family, friends, and coaches has been instrumental in keeping me grounded. They've always encouraged me and helped me stay focused on the game rather than the draft itself.

Alec Volchenkov: Having a solid support system is definitely critical. Looking beyond the draft, the off-season will follow. How do you plan on improving your skills this summer?

Bryce Woodworth: The off-season is when players can really focus on refining their skills and addressing weaknesses. I'll continue working with specialized coaches to target specific areas of improvement. For instance, I'll focus on enhancing my shot power and accuracy, and I'll work on increasing my strength and conditioning to maintain peak physical form throughout the season.

Apart from that, I'll also be closely analyzing my game footage to identify areas where I can make smarter decisions on the ice and overall be a better team player. Continuous learning and adapting to the ever-evolving nature of the sport is crucial for growth.

Alec Volchenkov: It sounds like you have a well-thought-out plan for the off-season, Bryce. We’re almost out of time here for today but is there a message you'd like to share with any aspiring young hockey players out there who may listen to this?

Bryce Woodworth: To all the young hockey players out there, I'd like to say that you should never give up on your dreams. If you have a hard work ethic, dedication, and passion for the sport, it will take you far. Embrace every opportunity to improve and don't be afraid to seek guidance from coaches and mentors. The journey will definitely have its ups and downs, but just stay focused and believe in yourself. If you keep that strong determination, anything is possible in the world of hockey.

Alec Volchenkov: Thank you for those inspiring words, Bryce! It's been a pleasure speaking with you today, and we wish you the best of luck in the VHLM Draft and in the upcoming season.

Bryce Woodworth: Thank you so much! I appreciate the support, and I'll do my best to make everyone proud.

Well that’s all the time we have for today folks. Thanks for tuning in and we will see you next time!

Word Count: 1006

Claiming Week Ending:

August 6th

August 13th

• 2 weeks later...