Czech sports journal catching up with Wann Kerr

VattghernCZ

Wann Kerr, one of the most prominent Czech players currently in the VHL, is enjoying another offseason in Bowen Island, B.C., albeit a one shortened by a trip to the Continental Cup finals, where his Vancouver Wolves lost to HC Davos Dynamo. Despite the difficulties in keeping up with our players playing overseas, especially with the ones residing in North America over Summer, we were able to steal a few minutes of his offseason time to catch up and chat about his season, offseason and expectations.

So, long time no see. How have you been?

Yea, I think last time we spoke, I was a rookie, right? I don't really feel like one anympore. Yea, things have been great, obviously I'm keeping busy, mostly with hockey, there will be enough time for other things later.

True that. Since our last chat, you've had quite a strong rookie season, hit some struggles in your second season, but you really broke out last year. What do you think got you over the hump?

Well, we had fantastic offense last season. I spent most of the season playing with either Nico (Pearce) or Henry (Eagles) on one of my wings, which obviously really helped both me and my other linemate, whether it was Oreo (McFleury) or S.nubbed (Analfist). We all were firing on all cylinders. And the confidence really carried throughout the squad.

You also had quite a playoff run...

But we didn't win The Cup. Getting this close feels great, but ultimately there's really nothing to celebrate. Yea, I got some goals and stuff, I was really feeling it, it felt like I had a puck magnet in my stick. Hockey gods have wicked sense of humor, let me tell you.

I'm sure your team will be more successful the next time. So, what have you been up to this Summer?

I've been mostly working on some faceoff drills, I feel like it could help my team a lot to establish puck possession straight after the puck drop. I've also been spending some extra time in the weight room, I'm not a big guy, I have to make up for it with some muscle. Especially considering my style of game. This Summer was more about working on off-puck stuff. I've even gone through tons of off-puck tape of guys like John Jameson, (Ronan) Lavelle or (Sirdsvaldis) Miglaskems. Their puck retrieval abilities are amazing, it's something I'd like to implement in my game. Especially using my body more effectively.

What about your non-hockey life? How's your Summer been?

Great! I'm enjoying being a hockey dad, my boy Alagsantere often comes to the training facilities with me. I promised him he can join the Greenland Hockey Academy when he's 15, so he's got some work to do to prepare, right? Other than that...with Lea, we kept it pretty under the radar, but we've got married. No big celebration or a huge social media thing, we just flew to Czechia, had the ceremony just with the family circle, and flew back to Canada. No biggie.

Wow, congratulations to you both! What are your expectations for your first hockey season as a married man? For you as a player and for your team?

For me, play my best game and work hard for the team. Just carry the confidence from the last season to the next one. We also have some youngsters in Liv (Slater) and Sigma (Freud) joining the team, I'll try to show them the ropes, help making them feel comfortable in the new team. As for the team, I see no reason why we couldn't go on another deep playoff run.

We in our journal will definitely root for you, thank you for your time again and hopefully we will get to catch up with you sooner than in another three years!

Thank you, always a pleasure to talk to my Czech fans.