so good

pugsood

So good.

That's how I'd describe both my VHLE and European experience with Steve Lattimer. I'll be the first to admit, I didn't know what to expect with either of them. I was sort of wandering aimlessly, my only hope of success and contribution being the guidance Janser and a couple others may have been willing to provide. Fortunately for me, they were ready, able, and willing to support someone who was so green when it came to all of these matters.

And what happened?
Success.
And heartbreak.

Success in Lattimer becoming one of the VHLE's best players, ranking among the top 5 in a handful of important league categories. Racking up points, assists, goals scored, while also managing to stay out of the penalty box and staying on the ice, a skill in and of itself. You can't contribute if you're riding pine. And Lattimer avoided the pine. 

Heartbreak certainly struck, though. I convinced myself that the Red Wolves were a team of destiny, poised to go all the way, hoisting the fabled cup and celebrating a monumental franchise achievement by winning a title. Those plans, those fantasies were derailed. Blown up over the course of 3 games when we simply chose the worst time to play our worst hockey. Lattimer let the team down. I let myself down. And I had to watch as a season of destiny transformed into a season of what ifs. 

Still, it was a success by most measures, and it earned me a spot in the European competition. Where, as I'm told, Lattimer shined throughout the tournament. The same rigor, hard work, passion, and enthusiasm that led to Lattimer's success in VHLE translated overseas, and even though I'm not as close to the details, I'm aware that this was a positive experience for Lattimer and his team, and that this may indeed springboard Lattimer into more success as I enter my first full season with the Calgary Wranglers. I have nothing but hope and optimism, mainly because I have leadership who seems as though they are willing to continue guiding me every step of the way, navigating around speed bumps and overcoming obstacles, all in the name of contribution and winning hockey. I look forward to the next chapter of Lattimer's career, however long that chapter will last, and hope that it brings with it that title that so narrowly avoided me in my last chapter.