Here, I'm Giving You Some Data On VHLE Graduation With Some Charts

MubbleFubbles

So I’ve covered this data quite a bit in other VHL.coms, but I’ve never really fully put it out there as to the complete results of my look into the topic, so today I’m going to change that up by adding in the complete results of my research thus far.

So we’re going to be looking at two different comparisons, the first will focus on how many players from each draft class surpassed 400 TPE versus how many got stuck between 200-400 TPE, then the second will ask the same questions but solely for first gens. I’ve covered this stuff in other articles looking at the topic but for those who haven’t seen, here is the reasoning behind the sample sizes:

-          The Season 63 Draft Class is considered the starting point as this was the first season we put in a dedicated recruitment drive, pursuing both Youtube and Reddit as advertising avenues.

-          The Season 78 Draft Class is considered the end point for being affected by the VHLE since the players from that draft class would have the window from creation until their draft plus two full seasons prior to the E’s implementation to surpass 400 TPE, which is a reasonable expectation whereas there was a good chance for Season 79 players, particularly those selected later in the draft, to have been playing in the VHLE in Season 80.  

-          For similar reasoning, the cut-off point is Season 88 as the Season 89 class is not yet at a point where comparing 200-400 TPE players to those over 400 TPE is a fair comparison as there are players like Otis Boudreaux Jr for example who earn a high amount of capped TPE per week but have yet to surpass 400 TPE.

-          My definition of a first-gen is in it’s purest form, a player belonging to a member who has never previously created a player in the VHL.

So let’s cover the first comparison, looking at comparing players who exceeded 400 TPE with those stuck between 200-400 TPE from each of the draft classes between Season 63 and Season 78, draft classes that reasonably would not be affected by the VHLE.

DcvrGHZ.png

As you can see, prior to the VHLE, we always had over half of our players who surpassed 200 TPE go on to surpass 400 TPE. However, there is a notable drop-off towards the end of the period, with the Season 75-78 classes hovering around 56-59% of players over 200 TPE making it past 400 TPE whereas the vast majority of the classes before that had surpassed 60%. Part of this could be put down to the massive recruitment of Season 75 having an impact on proceedings. A more cramped league maybe led to less opportunities for game time for players who maybe weren’t elite earners, thus leading to more people losing interest?  

Now let’s compare this with the same comparison, but for the classes that will have been affected by the VHLE, Seasons 79 through to Season 88.

1HizFl6.png

As evidenced, there is a lot more consistency in the percentage of players that make it past 400 TPE, with all of the first eight classes surpassing 69% for graduating over 400 TPE, a mark that only six of the sixteen classes hit between Season 63 and Season 78. It’s worth noting on top of this that Season 86 through to Season 88 all have scope to improve their scores, as each have significant amounts of actives between 200-400 TPE that could still graduate over 400 TPE (Season 86 has 6, Season 87 has 5, Season 88 has 9).

Now let’s go back to the Season 63-Season 78 draft classes, but instead look solely at the first-gen performance.

8hsqvdf.png

As you can see, the percentages as a whole go quite a way down when we only consider first-gens. It’s especially noticeable towards the latter end where Season 77 and Season 78 are the worst years for First Gens over 200 TPE graduating over 400 TPE, but there are still particularly good seasons, Season 73 in particular being the lone example of the percentage of First Gens over 200 TPE surpassing 400 TPE being greater than the classes overall performance.

Now let’s look at the same question for Season 79-Season 88.

Ft89jrY.png

While there are good examples in this class, such as the Season 84 class having the highest First-Gen 400 TPE conversion percentage of any class along with Seasons 81 and 82 having good scores for drafts with more First Gens than usual, there are also some rough examples. For example, unless some players come back from inactivity, Season 87 will have the worst results of any of the classes as, even if the two active players between 200-400 TPE in that class surpass 400 TPE, the class will still be the worst performing class of all the seasons I’ve collected.

Another element of note though is that the number of First-Gens for each class is also way down in comparison to the classes that would be affected by the VHLE. Between Season 63-Season 78, only five of the sixteen classes had below 20 First Gens surpassing 200 TPE. However, in the ten draft classes between Season 79 and Season 88, six of them have below 20 First Gens surpassing 200 TPE.

So one thing that would be natural to ask based on this data is “Does the VHLE help or hurt with regards to player progression?”. One of the answers to that is that it would be misleading to say it is hurting progression as, if anything, the numbers as a whole of players who surpass 200 TPE graduating past 400 TPE are better following the implementation of the VHLE. I think though it would also be fair to say that the VHLE may not specifically be helping in that the VHL seemed to struggle with progression during the periods where the league was at it’s fullest, so would other ways of handling the issue of limited playing time, like a VHL expansion for example, have had just as much of an effect on progression as the VHLE has had? That remains unclear.

1000 Words plus, claiming for 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Review: First, great article and interesting data on progression.  Your articles and graphs have always kept my interest and I usually try to search out your (and Shindigs) articles among the many.   So, that being said the content was excellent.  The stats related to VHLE and progression are interesting especially since the VHLE gets trashed by many as a waste of time. So what is true?

On 9/8/2023 at 2:41 PM, MubbleFubbles said:

the numbers as a whole of players who surpass 200 TPE graduating past 400 TPE are better following the implementation of the VHLE. I think though it would also be fair to say that the VHLE may not specifically be helping in that the VHL seemed to struggle with progression during the periods where the league was at it’s fullest, so would other ways of handling the issue of limited playing time, like a VHL expansion for example, have had just as much of an effect on progression as the VHLE has had? That remains unclear.

Great analysis here which is fair to both side of the argument.  And I am still confused...

Also, when I read articles I really love the use of graphs, photos, charts, etc.  Some type of visual aid always keeps my enjoyment and helps explain the data, especially here where it is a confusing topic.  Anyways great topic and always look forward to more.   9/10

Article Review:  You can tell a lot of work went into making this media spot, finally something that deserves the TPE it is awarded.  The graphs make the article easy to read and help convey the data succinctly.  Well done.  Unfortunately like a lot of analysis that has been done on the VHLE I think it fails to come to any sort of definitive conclusion. I expect that is because there are was too many factors involved to look a t a couple key components and make a final conclusion.

I appreciate the effort and so give the article a 9/10.