The C.G.Y. Janser Story, Part III, a mid-season summary

Daniel Janser

Bild

Graphic courtesy of Leandrofg

The Saskatoon Wild have played 36 games and show a 22-10-4 record for their efforts. This is good enough for third place in the Western Conference and fifth in the league. For a stretch of ten games the Wild were unbeatable, however the last couple of games were a mixed bag, with losses following wins and vice versa.

Janser has developed into a defensive Behemoth, being in the top three for checking and time spent in the penalty box alike. We will look into the last game Saskatoon played.

Aces_Bar.pngSSK_bar.png

2-4

In a clash for the second place in the Western Conference, the Saskatoon Wild met the Las Vegas Aces. The Saskatchewan franchise bested the Nevada based team 2-4. Neelson with a double-take won the first period for the Wild. Jec then raised the stakes with his marker for the 3-0 lead. Eight seconds later, the Aces cut down the advantage to two goals again. In the final period, Las Vegas scored a goal early on and were looking for the equalizer, before Schwarzer (who has been phenomenal since their trade to the Wild) delivered the dagger with less than two minutes to play. Not enough time for the US equipe to turn the tides again. The three stars were awarded to Neelson (2g/1a), DingDong (0g/2a) and Janser (0g/1a). In Saskatoon's crease, Reed (.905) showed Vidarsson (.862) how it is done. The Saskatoon's rather meagre eploit on the power play (0/2) was backed up by an immaculate performance of the penalty kill units (5/5).

Callum left the ice with a 0g, 1a, +1, 4 hits and 3sb

Our correspondent Jean-Luc Lieuxperroux was able to meet with the Calgary native after the match for some comments.

JLL: 'Callum, half a season is through and Saskatoon is holding on to a playoff spot. Are you happy with the standing?'

CGY: 'Well, it is certainly a good thing to be in the race for the post-season. But we are not where we wanted to be yet. We expected to be ahead of Miami at least, due to their stretched out defence, however somehow they manage to win games. We also have to look at our own game. Our special units are not cutting it, power play as well as box play is eighth of the league, which does not match our standards.'

JLL: 'But that does mean that most of your goals come from even strength which is the majority of time spent in a game.'

CGY: 'You are not wrong there. However, if you are given a chance to act with one player more, you need to convert about 25% of those chances. This could tip the scales in your favour in a tight match. The same is true for the penalty killing, just inverse. One should be able to kill off 80% of the opposition's power play, if you want to see long term success. Otherwise you will end up losing games, which you would normally tie or even win, when you take some penalties. Having said that our PK is at 82.95%, which would normally be decent. Alas this season seven teams are even better than that, with Mississauga at the top with almost a 9/10 success rate on the short handed play. On the flip side, Miami has the strongest power play, converting one out of five opportunities, whereas we managed only a success rate of 15.15% on the man advantage.'

JLL: 'So it seems everyone is very close on those metrics.'

CGY: 'That is indeed the case. It is details which win you matches and/or Cups, though.'

JLL: 'Are you happy with your individual performance so far?'

CGY: 'I could do with taking less penalties, but I suppose my physical play style is detrimental to the statistics. On the other hand, my production is better than I anticipated and Rin and I close the door most of the times. So overall I am not unhappy with my first full season, but there are a lot of areas where I need to improve. Take my skating for example. It will not stand the test in any higher league and is certainly something I will work on.'

JLL: 'Thanks for these insights, and good luck for the rest of the season.'

CGY: 'Thanks for having me.'

Here are Callum's stats for the season:

36gp, 6g, 15a, 21pts, +14, 54 PIM, 122 hits, 50sb, 1gwg, 1ppg, 2 First Stars distinctions

We will revert with news on the Swiss back in due course. In the meantime, why not reading some of the previous articles linked below?

https://vhlforum.com/topic/137991-cgy-janser-scouting-report/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/137981-callum-gareth-gary-yannick-jansers-rocky-road-to-professional-icehockey-a-biography/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/139981-the-cgy-janser-story-part-i-draft-day-first-matches/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/140256-cgy-janser-finding-a-new-home/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/140297-the-cgy-janser-story-part-ii-one-fourth-over-a-fellow-draftee-analysis/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/140374-cgy-janser-putting-in-the-elbow-grease/

GM 170: Las Vegas Aces vs. Saskatoon Wild (vhlportal.com)

Edited by Daniel Janser

Review: I saw this and be apart of the wild its only right that I review this no? Well I'm going to anyway. First off I love how in depth you go into this by going through an entire game that happened this week while also having a reporter style interview at the end I really like how this is done. The one this I'm curious about is the graphic at the top as I'm still relatively new I am curious with background as it pertains to the writing as 2 brothers but the player being written about is not on the page but its more of a curiosity thing. 

Rating: Very good read keep up the good work! (9.5/10) 

2 hours ago, Dadam30 said:

Review: I saw this and be apart of the wild its only right that I review this no? Well I'm going to anyway. First off I love how in depth you go into this by going through an entire game that happened this week while also having a reporter style interview at the end I really like how this is done. The one this I'm curious about is the graphic at the top as I'm still relatively new I am curious with background as it pertains to the writing as 2 brothers but the player being written about is not on the page but its more of a curiosity thing. 

Rating: Very good read keep up the good work! (9.5/10) 

Thanks for the review, I always appreciate feedback on my articles to make me a better writer.

As to your justified question about the title graphic: This is my second player (my first one was Daniel Janser). My brother and I joined the league together back in S80 and I soon started to write a series of articles under the label of 'a tale of two Brothers' which were of course Marcel and Daniel Janser. And back then the graphic matched the protagonists. However, the brothers retired in S89 and I roleplay it that they are hockey pundits writing for the news paper (in real life, I cannot do graphics and Leandrofg, who made this amazing 'letterhead', is very occupied with RL events).